NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed 100watt bulbs instead of the 50watt the car came with. Since doing they've burnt out 3 times in approx 3 months.
Is it possible the larger wattage is the cause of this or is something else causing this.

Any help is appreciated.

trshman

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Normal.

The Daytime Running Lights are on all the time in these cars and the light level is not far from full brightness. Many cars have DRL about 40% brightness but not the VW Beetle.

Any aftermarket bulbs, even Silver Star Ultras will only last about 4-8 months in these cars. Even the stock bulbs do not last more than about 2 years in these cars.

So you can modify or disable your DRL, but 100 Watt bulbs from anyone that are in H1 configuration will never last long, too much heat, too small package.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Any aftermarket bulbs, even Silver Star Ultras will only last about 4-8 months in these cars. Even the stock bulbs do not last more than about 2 years in these cars.
I don't believe this at all. I had my car for 6 1/2 years and had one bulb go. Just one. And that was probably 5 years into ownership. DRLs were fully functional as well.

·
Diesel Freak
596 Posts
I don't believe this at all. I had my car for 6 1/2 years and had one bulb go. Just one. And that was probably 5 years into ownership. DRLs were fully functional as well.
You are by far the exception...

H1 is a disastrous use as a Headlight mainbeam, very poor design.

·
"that kid with the bug"
415 Posts
you shouldnt go higher than 75W bubs in my experiance. the 100s burn too hot and tend to pop alot faster than the 50s or 75s.

Matt

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
bulbs

Yea I use about one bulb per year or around that rate of change out. Never go up on wattage cause that could cause the wiring to get hot also. Disable the daylight running lights would help. stay with what is oem, 50-60 watters. Good luck man.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You are lucky my friend!

I always laugh to myself any more when I see a earlier New Beetle driving around that only has 1 headlight on (typically I see this during the day), the only thing funnier is when you read about the people that ask why their headlights are not working as they think they have an electrical problem. Turns out the electrical problem was one bulb was out for quite some time and they did not realize it until the 2nd bulb popped!

Might be something different with the earlier cars? But I know my 2003 seems to like headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you one and all. i'm going back to the stock 50 watters.
i'll just drive a little slower :)

trshman

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
thank you one and all. i'm going back to the stock 50 watters.
i'll just drive a little slower :)

trshman
just drive with the 50 watters but use the high beam and you're back to where u wanted to be at 100 watters..LOL :p I commute to work before daylight and that's all I use , high beams baby! :D

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I think it was resolved by 2003 (not for certain), but the earlier beetles had harness problems and volkswagen sells an updated harness.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
100 Posts
The OEM headlights are fine as long as you have them equipped with the proper headlight bulbs. Get a pair of the OSRAM (European) Xenon-filled H1 55W headlight bulbs; a good source is PowerBulbs.com (OSRAM Night Breaker Plus H1 (Twin Pack) | PowerBulbs). These bulbs project so much more light power than the standard halogen-filled bull**** H1 bulbs available in the US, it's amazing. :cool:

And, they last forever; the last pair that I installed have been burning brightly for about three years so far... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts