NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headliner in my 2004 NBC started pulling away from the rear window. So, a couple weeks ago the dealer replaced the headliner free of charge! Well we just had a late summer rain here in the San Francisco Bay Area which highlighted two new problems:

1) The rear-window defogger didn't seem to work. Oddly enough, I noticed that when my headlights are turned on, the defogger button glows orange and when I turn it "on" it turns a brighter orange.

Isn't the button supposed to glow red when off and orange when on?

Bottom line - I think they disconnected something. Thoughts?

2) The base of the headliner along the back of the car was wet the morning after the rain. The plastic "deck" in the back of the car also had some wet spots directly below the base of the headliner.

Is this normal? Is it just condensation? Or do I have a bigger leaking problem now?

Thanks all for your input on these items!

-Kevin Suttle

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
1) The button should only be orange when on - possible disconnected wire.

2) No way should you be getting water in there...:confused:

-Des

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) The rear-window defogger didn't seem to work. Oddly enough, I noticed that when my headlights are turned on, the defogger button glows orange and when I turn it "on" it turns a brighter orange.

Isn't the button supposed to glow red when off and orange when on?

Bottom line - I think they disconnected something. Thoughts?
I wanted to post an update to my earlier post. I finally got my NBC to the dealer and they confirmed that the defogger button should glow red unless the defogger is turned on. They determined that the connector for the defogger on the rear window had been broken off when they replaced the headliner. To repair this, they had to apply a special adhesive that had to cure for 24 hours...hence my NBC was in the shop for 2 days. But now all seems to work well.

-Kevin

·
Registered
122 Posts
How about the leak??? Isn't this related to the faulty headliner clips issue that's been bugging these NBCs for the longest time? There is a TSB on this issue. It's TSB# 05-01, affects MY03-05 NBCs, title: Headliner, Loose Around Rear Glass. Hope this helps if leaking is still an issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts