NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's involved? I know of some aftermarket heating elements that can be installed to convert to a heated seat. Anyone ever done this?

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
I got a heat kit when I had my cloth seats reupholstered with a leather kit. Since I already had the cushions exposed they didn't charge the full labor cost to install the heaters. I even had the switches installed in the factory spot, even though they're different switches. I've had good luck with them over the years!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beetlemania said:
I got a heat kit when I had my cloth seats reupholstered with a leather kit. Since I already had the cushions exposed they didn't charge the full labor cost to install the heaters. I even had the switches installed in the factory spot, even though they're different switches. I've had good luck with them over the years!
I plan to do the conversion sometime within the next few weeks b4 it gets cold outside. What brand did you get and who did the conversion for you? I talked to a couple of upholstry shops here and they all wand $200-$250. The company I plan to get the elements from says the installation is really simple and that I don't have to go to a shop to do it - I will most likely take that option and DIY. Do you have any diagrams of the seat and electrical system?

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
I got the Katzkins kit and had them installed at an upholstery shop in Tulsa. Since they did it I didn't get any paperwork with it.

·
Audiophile
74 Posts
Beetlemania said:
I got the Katzkins kit and had them installed at an upholstery shop in Tulsa. Since they did it I didn't get any paperwork with it.
how much did it cost to get your seats redone?

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
If I remember right, it was $1550 for the re-upholstering and heater installation. They didn't charge me extra for getting the leather colored. As they put it, "it's still the same amount of material."

·
Registered
316 Posts
Before you spend all that money on reupholstering, you should know that the special stitching for the seam where the side airbag comes out can only be done by a special machine at the factory. It has a special stitch pattern and a special type of thread so that when the airbag deploys, it can rip through the seam. Good upholsterers will often refuse to reupholster airbag-equipped seats for safety and liability reasons. I was faced with this problem when I bought a pair of R32 seats for my NBC. They were black and the interior of my car is cream. I came up with a perfect solution--I just had the inserts reupholstered in cream, thus preserving the airbag stitching. Consequently, I had the back seat redone to match. It actually looks MUCH better than if I had had the whole seats done in cream.

Attachments

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
That really is a very nice looking seat. Well done!

As for the special stitching, the upholstery kit that I used is approved for use with the airbag. I haven't seen any of the aftermarket seats after an airbag deployment, but I understand that they're supposed to act just like factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts