NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
Joined
·
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i asked this question in chat one night, but i'd like to ask the community. i bought my NB february of 2005 with 82K on it. i was so excited to learn it had heated seats and i used them a few times before spring hit. i noticed then that there were a few times when they weren't as hot as i though they should be, but didn't worry about it. i'd never had heated seats in a car before.

so now it's getting cold here and when i have the seats on 1, 2 or 3, i can't really feel much. i am guessing they are crapping out on me. when they are on 5, they are pretty darn hot though. maybe this is how it's supposed to be? i just remember using them in march of this year and 1 was noticably warm and 5 would about kill you. now you can't even feel anything on 1.

has anyone had their heated seats fixed or replaced? if so, how much did it cost? any help or advice on this would be much appreciated! thank you!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,650 Posts
I haven't had heated seats, so my knowledge is very limited. It may be a relay or fuse that's blown or malfunctioning. That's really about the best I can give you right now ... :(

Hopefully someone else can shed more light on the topic!
 

·
Good-bye Curby...
Joined
·
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kcfoxie said:
I haven't had heated seats, so my knowledge is very limited. It may be a relay or fuse that's blown or malfunctioning. That's really about the best I can give you right now ... :(

Hopefully someone else can shed more light on the topic!
well then what are you posting for?! i kid. :) you know i like you.

it's weird that the seats are pretty warm on 5, but nothing really on 1, 2 and 3. weirdness.

anyone?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
355 Posts
seat heat

callisto9 said:
well then what are you posting for?! i kid. :) you know i like you.

it's weird that the seats are pretty warm on 5, but nothing really on 1, 2 and 3. weirdness.

anyone?
Not weird, just typical. (search old forum)
The trick is start at 5, then bump it down to your comfort level.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,650 Posts
It is odd that 1-3 don't see anything, what about 4? it's 1-5 settings, right? I recall Des having a issue with the repair of his blue 2000 (2001?) beetle and the seats not fitting / seat warmers not working after the seats were replaced. The element itself could be going, which would suck big time. If that's the case your'e looking at taking the cover off the lower part of the seat and laying in a new element (should connect right up). connection is easy, removing and recovering the seat bottom will be the pricey part. Let's keep this thread bumped and see if any of the ral gurus can help :)

[note to self: buy Haynes for New Beetle!]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
I remember hearing something about the heating element's positioning relative to the surface of the seat causes this. Perhaps it moved? I don't know. I'm pretty sure I have the same thing going on but it's taking longer to have that null effect.
 

·
Good-bye Curby...
Joined
·
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CA Solt said:
Not weird, just typical. (search old forum)
The trick is start at 5, then bump it down to your comfort level.
i'll check that out! i do have a haynes, but after skimming it a few weeks ago, it's way too technical for me (for most things), but i will try the starting at 5, then bumping down. i'll also look around on the old forums.

kcfoxie, 4 and 5 work pretty well, but 1-3...virtually nothing. and yes, there are settings 1-5.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
355 Posts
kcfoxie said:
Let's keep this thread bumped and see if any of the ral gurus can help :)

ral gurus????

Anyway,
neither Haynes nor Bentley specifically lists
methods for checking seat heater performance.
Troubleshooting for ground faults and shorts
would be the next move.

But, since you DO have heat at the uppermost rheostat setting,
Then you are most likely like the rest of us; you have a
GERMAN car with settings calibrated for the ass of a frozen
German experiencing a German winter.

Look here:
http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?threadid=49278&highlight=seat+heaters
 

·
Good-bye Curby...
Joined
·
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CA Solt said:
But, since you DO have heat at the uppermost rheostat setting,
Then you are most likely like the rest of us; you have a
GERMAN car with settings calibrated for the ass of a frozen
German experiencing a German winter.

Look here:
http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?threadid=49278&highlight=seat+heaters
cool! that thread was very helpful. well, now i don't feel so alone! a lot of the responses on that thread were similiar to how my heated seats work:

1 - huh? are these things on?
2 - seriously? are they on?
3 - i feel a hint of warmth
4 - ok, now we're getting somewhere
5 - toasted buns good.
 

·
180 Degrees out of faze
Joined
·
841 Posts
Just go to your local dealer. There is a TSB out on the heated seats.
There have been several fires caused by the seats (a real hot seat) getting a bit too warm. The TSB is to correct any problems with the heating elements/wireing. Just tell them that you have smelled something like burning hair when you turn on the seats. That should trigger their memory about the TSB for the seats.
 

·
Good-bye Curby...
Joined
·
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hannaco said:
Just go to your local dealer. There is a TSB out on the heated seats.
There have been several fires caused by the seats (a real hot seat) getting a bit too warm. The TSB is to correct any problems with the heating elements/wireing. Just tell them that you have smelled something like burning hair when you turn on the seats. That should trigger their memory about the TSB for the seats.
OK, what's a TSB?
 

·
Good-bye Curby...
Joined
·
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Toad said:
TSB = Technical Service Bulliten
ok, thanks! *cough* we'll just pretend i knew that!
 

·
Good-bye Curby...
Joined
·
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hannaco said:
Just go to your local dealer. There is a TSB out on the heated seats.
There have been several fires caused by the seats (a real hot seat) getting a bit too warm. The TSB is to correct any problems with the heating elements/wireing. Just tell them that you have smelled something like burning hair when you turn on the seats. That should trigger their memory about the TSB for the seats.
but if they hook me up to the diagnostic tool and find nothing, then i'm out $55. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
Yeah, but that's not very likely. I don't think the diagnostic tool would tell them if there's a problem such as this one.

I don't have access to their TSB's anymore; so I can't tell for sure what their steps are. Sorry. I THINK doing the seat could be a DIY thing. I remember seeing several org members that had swapped out their leather w/some other company's... just received a kit and swapped the seat covers on their stock seats. And I recall Fowvay cutting part of the foam out of his.... I bet there were pictures. :p
 

·
Send Money
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
callisto9 said:
but if they hook me up to the diagnostic tool and find nothing, then i'm out $55. :(
Geez.. I wish I could pay $55 for diagnoses. The dealer I go to wants $90.00. The thieves.

I dunno, tho.. my seats seem to be working just fine all through the adjustments. Of course, now that I've said that, I'll probably regret it....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
355 Posts
seat heat

Let the experience of others be your guide here.
Going to the dealer will only have you spend $$$ needlessly.
Your car is not malfunctioning.

Here is another example:
I also own two Audis; a 1992 100S, and a 2001 A6 Avant that both have heated seats and that both work the same as both New Beetles I've owned with heated seats.

It is the nature of the beast.
 

·
180 Degrees out of faze
Joined
·
841 Posts
To keep the pain to a minimum, call the dealer first. Ask if it will cost anything to have the seats repaired under the TSB. If they want cash, just say NO. Then call a different dealer. They may say yes. Right now, most dealers are a little slow, and might be willing to get any kind of work.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top