NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 vert with heated seats. I've had the car for about a year, and when I use the heated seat, I set it to 5, and when it warms up, I turn it down to 3 or 4.

It always seems too hot (not just too warm!) if I leave it set on 5, and I can't detect any heat at all if it's set down or 4 or less.

Is that the way all New Beetle heated seats are, or are my heated seat adjustments not working well? I checked today using a thermometr, and the driver's side gets up over 112 when on 5, but barely registers a change on the other settings.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
We have a 2002, and a 2005, both with heated leather. The 2002 on 5 feels "very warm", :queen: , the 2005, AyeAyeAye! :firedevil Way too hot!

I put the '02 to 5 to warm up, then turn to 4, just right. Three, two and one, are practically non-existant settings. The '05, 3 is "just right". But you can also feel 2. Strange. The two cars have the same style seats. :confused:

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i have the same thing. 1-3 don't really feel anything. 5 is pretty toasty and after awhile, i knock it down to 4. my NB is 4 years old though. i don't know if he was always this way.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Mine does the same thing.5 gets too hot and 1,2,3 don't even feel like they're on.I have a 2001 1.8 limited edition all black leather interior.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like it's the normal way they operate. There must be a better system, I think the tougher part would be getting something better wired in to the stock switch.

Guess I'll have to take a look and see what I can find!

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
3 and under you dont feel anything...4 is eh and 5 is OWOWOWOWOWOWOW

at least thats how it is on lola(02 color concept 1.8t)

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
My 05 cloth seats were too hot on 3 and 2 was just right. My 03 S seats...5 is HOLY PETUNIAS, 4 is OH JEEZ THAT'S WARM, 3 is just right, and sometimes 2 is just right, but 1 is nothing.

·
www.36-hp.com
27 Posts
We've found that the heated seat system seems to be designed more with the cloth seats in mind. When you have the thicker leather seats, they don't heat up as much as the cloth ones.

Still... its fun to flip the dial up to five on either kind of seat when the other person isn't looking :D

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Annabel said:
Still... its fun to flip the dial up to five on either kind of seat when the other person isn't looking :D
ooooooh, good idea! ;)

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Good luck finding switches...they're rare, and if you go to the dealer, they're $100/piece.

But yeah, the S seats work great! I'm in love. Redoing the interior paint at some paint to silver to flow with the new 'theme'.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had the same problem and it was a bad switch, mine was only working on 5, this is pretty common. Now I can put it on 2 or 3 and I can feel the warm heat, if you still have warranty bring it to the dealer and get a new switch. I now have a different problem, the back part of my seat does not get heated anymore........

·
Sun Goddess
7 Posts
We also have the same issue. The seat heater has two settings. 0 - 4 are essentially off and 5 is "I'm melting...."

Could this be a warranty issue?

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I have leather and I've never had to go higher than 3-4. It warms right up and then I normally set it at 2 :)
Granted it's not a vert if that makes a difference

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd get it looked at. I had the same experience with my other Beetle... 5 or nothing. But with the NBC, I can feel a range of temps throughout all the numbers.

Both cars had leather seats, too. I think it is a malfunction with the control!

And... we call them "tush toasters" at our house!

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
I usually put my purse on the passenger seat in the morning, usually with a juice and banana or something inside. I arrived at work one morning and picked up the juice and naner, they were hot! yuck! Stupid boy forgot to turn the heated seats off when he got out :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts