NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"Flippin Sweet"
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a separate fuse for the heated mirrors?
They don't seem to be working. Everything else is fine so
I thought maybe they had their own fuse? Something else? How long should it take for them to clear?
Foggy and morning dew, no ice or anything (Florida)
It takes about 15 minutes to get to work and they look
the same as when I started.....
Thanks.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
The elements are probably burned out. This happens when the switch is left in the heat position for too long. That would be with the round mirror control knob in the middle pointing to the little squiggly heat icon.

Go find the guy that decided to design it so the heat is NOT linked to something timed, like the defroster switch...OH WAIT, the defroster switch isn't timed either just like the 1980 Honda Civic I used to own, and this is on a 2000 GLS....the defroster switch is either on or off...no convienient time delay involved..

Hmm...how is it that the 2005 Ford F350 I drive at work has the mirrors heated 100% of the time - and I mean all year - spring, summer, winter and fall - and those elements never burn out?

Man, I love the Beetle, but some of the design elements leave me scratching my head. BTW, your only solution is to replace the glass and try to remember not to leave the heat on for too long. Also, if you have a VAG-COM it will tell you for sure if the mirrors are burned out.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Wow do you mean to tell me that the dealer told me something useful and correct when i picked up my car?He said to leave it either on the right or left mirror control because the middle was for the heated mirrors and it's On when in that possition.He never told me to cool down the turbo or not to downshift to slow down.I guess that's not as important:mad:

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I just had the Bug into the dealer yesterday for it's biannual brake fluid change and the last chance for any warranty repairs (hard to believe it has been 4 years already). So, I asked the Service Rep to check the heated mirrors to see if they were operating since I noticed that I had left the mirror switch on the center position for who knows how long. I also asked him if there had been many problems with the heated mirror failing and he said no. So, it does happen but it appears to be rare.

My mirrors checked out fine but I will try to keep the switch off of the center position. At the very least, I will be saving that little bit of energy. :)

Best of luck with fixing your mirrors.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
When i was getting the tour of my car the day i brought it home i switched that to the center cuz it looked better to me, but the salesman (also a Beetle owner) made it a point that it be on left on either mirror so as not to burn this out. Was this mentioned here already?? I may have missed a sentance.

one

·
Potty Trained
126 Posts
How can you tell with vag-com? Is it in the central convinience part? Also I have a setting on my mirrors that is opposite of the heated setting with a picture of a mirror and an arrow under it, what does it do? I keep it in this position all the time unless I need the heat. Thanks for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts