VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have the fan blowing on high to medium-high, it sounds as if the fan blades are contacting something, like the sound of playing cards clothes pinned to the rear frame of a bike sticking through to the spokes of the rear tire (hey, we used to do this waaay back when, tells you how old I am, LOL)
Anyway it gets more apparent when the revs are up and driving then slows when I come to a stop. Sounds like it's tied to the engine RPM somehow.

Anyone experience this and found a remedy or cause of this noise?

Thanks

-Bob

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would guess that the bearings are wearing out if you had symptoms of noise at start that faded as the motor/fan warmed up.

This I don't know, but I wonder if the noise is the fan or something behind that area of the firewall.

If you drive on the highway, no noise if you have the blower set to off or on 1/2?

What happens if as you're driving if you were to shift to neutral? Does the sound continue or does it fade out?

Does the A/C still function?

It is pretty easy to access the blower motor for a basic visual inspection. Under the passenger side of the dash the bottom soft plastic panel (on my bug at least) is held on with just a few torx screws, once you remove that you can look up and see the blower. Assuming your head is small enough to get under there, or you have some kind of tool to look.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is intermittent. I didn't hear it at all on the way home tonight and seems to happen more in the early morning commute to work. With the blower set to 1 or 2 it doesn't make the noise. It makes the same noise when I used the AC this summer.

When it warms up to above freezing out here :mad: I'll take a look under the dash as you suggest.

·
Registered
950 Posts
It is intermittent. I didn't hear it at all on the way home tonight and seems to happen more in the early morning commute to work. With the blower set to 1 or 2 it doesn't make the noise. It makes the same noise when I used the AC this summer.

When it warms up to above freezing out here :mad: I'll take a look under the dash as you suggest.
I actually replaced my blower motor in the winter when it seized up. It wasn't fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts