NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic informed me that I need a heater corre on my 2000 VW Beetle with about 112K miles. He informed me that upon completion of the cooling system, it held a vacuum test for 30 minutes, and passed. But as it was allowed to warm up in the shop, they noticed steam from the dash vents.

According to my shop, they said unfortunately at this point it needs to be fixed, it’s a safety concern ( fogging up windshield, or scolding your feet) and also can cause the car to overheat, thus blowing a head gasket.

Does anyone know how often does the heater corre go out and if $400 is a reasonable price for parts and labor? Also, does anyone know if there was a recall for the heater corre for a 2000 Beetle Bug?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sounds reasonable. The heater core isn't very expensive but the entire dash needs to be removed to put one in. I'd make sure he gets the best heater core that he can find so it can last a long time(stay away from Chinese junk).

You might also have the AC evaporator cleaned while everything is apart, it will make the car smell a lot nicer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts