VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and am a new owner of a 2006 convertible. Had our first warm day since buying the vehicle and turned the heat on. Windshield fogged up bad with a nasty kind of glaze. Made me think the heater core is bad, but I've got no coolant on the floor. The heat is also pumping just fine. Smells bad like coolant in the car only when the heat is on. Anyone seen this same situation before and able to lend some advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
My heater core went a couple years ago and it was just like you describe. With the heat on it is impossible to keep the windshield clear. In my case the leak was very small, really just a dampness inside the case when I took it apart, but that was enough.

If you are thinking of replacing it yourself it is a lot of work. The entire dash has to be removed. Here is what mine looked like with the heater core removed:

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Vehicle door

There is a very good DIY on taking the dash apart here:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/41973-blend-door-diy.html

Welcome to the forum and the joys of New Beetle ownership! Wish the news could be better, but yeah, the heater core is bad. Let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great picture and thanks for sharing. Definitely a lot of work that I could handle, but at this point I just want it fixed. Getting a wide range of prices in my town. Everything from $800-$1400. Anyone know what the book says or what you all think is fair?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts