VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a heater core melt down. It is failing/leaking. Our windows are steaming up every 2 days after a good windexing. I have a replacement but I am trying to find a DIY to replace it or at least gain access to it. I have searched youtube and google and I have not found any step by step guides to getting the task done.

I just replaced on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and there were dozens of DIY write ups so I am shocked not to see one for the Beetle.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I replaced my heater core this last summer. Same problem, the windows kept fogging up. The Beetle became mine instead of my wife's until I got it fixed! This thread has all the info about taking the dash apart:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/41973-blend-door-diy.html

The heater/ac box splits into 2 parts which are connected by 6 metal clips. No need to discharge the a/c. Once the box is split in two there is just enough room to remove the heater side and replace core.

This thread has great info:

VWVortex.com - DIY: MK IV Heater Core Replacement

It used to be formatted nicely with embedded pictures and all, but when I opened it today it is only showing up as text with links. The links to the pictures work. Hopefully you will be able to open it properly. If not, you may need to bring it into a word processor and fix the formatting to be able to read it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I just read your response now. I have already taken the dash apart and unhooked the heater core from the back side. I just need to figure out how to get the center section off.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Go through the VWVortex DIY and make sure you have removed everything that is needed. Pretty much all the ductwork needs to come out. Here is what mine looked like with the heater core removed:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Auto part Engine

·
Registered
70 Posts
Let's hope you have the 2 piece box. Just put a heater core in my 2004 Turbo-S and it had the single piece box which made it that much more difficult. I bought a used 2 piece box and replaced the heater and evaporator core along with making a permanent repair to the blend doors. 2 solid days of work but well worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts