VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working with a 2000 1.8-L turbocharged New Beetle that is not not heating the cabin at maximum heat settings until the engine RPMs are taken to about 3000. Once the RPMs fall back down to idle, heater performance again deteriorates to nothing but luke-cold air blasting out of the vents.

I have already tried a few things: First, I replaced the foam that had completely fallen off of the heater/AC blend door with some materials that will hopefully outlast the car. While I had the heating/AC system almost fully dismantled, I back-flushed the heater core and checked it for free flow. I then replaced the old coolant (which actually looked fine). Lastly, I replaced the thermostat and checked the water pump for proper performance.

The blend door repair brought the functionality from nil to what it is now, which is OK at highway RPMs, but dismal at idle. At this point, I am open to (read, "begging for") suggestions as to what the problem might be. Does this car have a heater core control valve that might be stuck partially shut, thus restricting flow? I am new to this lovely little car, so please forgive me if this is a common issue on this kind of vehicle and possibly something I'll just have to suffer.

Thank you in advance for your insight!

· Registered
18,836 Posts
I would confirm that the return line is not clogged and see if there is a good flow to the coolant tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBaOFoQkZzg

IF there is no returning stream or weak one; make sure the hose is not clogged. If it is ok; then I would see if there are any air pockets in the block by using a coolant vacuum fill tool. If that doesn't fix the issue; then I would pull the thermostat and check the waterpump, see if the impeller is cracked or spinning on the shaft. If it is damaged; you would need a new one and I would recommend a whole timing belt and water pump kit. Check these guys for excellent oem quality kits; that come with everything you need, to do the job correctly: Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts®

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.