VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...

I want to upgrade to leather. In a perfect world i would like Black leather seats with gray inserts. Leatherette is also acceptable, but i think i prefer the real deal.

Also looking for the leather armrest cover.

Anyone have these available? Price? Offer? Directions to a place i might find a set?

Wish i could get plaid seats like in the GTI i saw in a magazine. I'd sell my soul for those.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
Have you priced out what it would cost to recover the seats you have?

Occasionally you may come out ahead going that route.

In any case, at least you would know what amount you shouldn't pay more than.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had considered it. The other option i'm exploring is custom cover that allow for the airbags, and that'd be about $5-600. I'm not opposed to it, but if i could get a deal i'm down. Like on eBay not long ago there was a set for around $200 or something. I didnt have the cash at the time or i'd have them by now.

I also wanted to go to the car upholsterer down the road from my office. He does nice work and is a decent guy. He's dealth with vintage Beetles, why not a current?

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
After market leather is always better than factory. So your best bet for quality (in my opinion) is to have them done rather than buy a set of VW seats off a wrecked car or something. Aftermarket leather is really nice and I had it done on a previous car...but it could be expensive. I would expect to pay in the $1200-1500 type range for front and back.

My cloth seats are terrible and I've thought about it as well. But who knows.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
only 3 places I know of....

www.katzkin.com

www.autoleathers.com

www.classicsofttrim.com (no online prices)

either way, for the 2000 GLS, your looking at $1200-$1500 for all....NOW...if you go with leatherette..(vinyl that is soft leather look-a-like) then you would only spend about $600-$1000 total...

Only leather I have in the car is my steering wheel cover (2 tone yellow and black) and my shift boot...from:

www.wheelskins.com

It's almost cheaper to just pull the seats all together and put in r-type seats....

That's why I went with Neoprene seat covers...and got a can of fabric paint and painted my own inserts......:D

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bananarama said:
Best price I found so far for leather seats..front and back is at

www.landspeedusa.com/products/vw.htm

for $799.95 ...plus Shipping and handling... you will have to call them at (800) 237-5625 to find out what colors they have...
I saw the Landspeed thing. I was going to exhaust other resources before i got in touch with them. Besides, i'm a ways off right now anyway.

On another note...where can i find info about the R type seats? Pics anywhere?

I think what i will probably and up doing in the spring would be to scour the junkyards with wrecked Beetles with intact seating. I figure that will still be a price, but far less than some other options. Has anyone done this on the org before?

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
My new leather steats came from a wrecked 2001-----

Black, heated-----with shipping they cost me $400 total. That's front and back seats, armrest, headrests and all.

They are in top condition and I love them.

Thanks to Super Justin they should be heat operational by X-mas! :)

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Billsbug said:
The Turbo S comes stock with black w/grey inserts leather sport seats. Get with an on-line auto dismantler to search for a set from a wrecked S...
Sounds like a good idea. Wonder how much i could get em from an online dealer?? There has to be a product code i can order with, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts