VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BlueBug2002
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm SO glad to have this forum and ability to learn more about my New Beetle.
Having some issues so I'm hoping there's a whole Genre of people out there with suggestions!
2002 New Beetle 2.0L 4cyl 4spd man trans.
Won't start.......I've searched your forums and tried what other people posted for suggestions- Turn key to on-no click, relay noise starts when opening door, lights all come on.
Here's what I've done:
*Battery test: Good/Excellent, disconnect battery-click key to "on" reconnect battery- no start.
*locked with key, climbed in through trunk tried to start however alarm sounded, no start
*Unlocked with key, tried to start-no start.
Have tried everything according to my Haynes manual, I'm at a loss and SO frustrated!!
A month ago I charged the battery because it wouldn't start, got it started and took it out for a 50mile drive to charge it up. Parked it in the garage and it hasn't started since. Granted, it's been a pretty cold winter here in Wisconsin and I haven't driven it this winter (have a 4whl drive for winter)
Turned over 200k this past Fall, is it scheduled to self-destruct?
Love my bug (my mid-life crisis)
Much appreciated suggestions!!!
Ms Marsha

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

I wish I had an answer Ms. Marsha. Someone will be along to assist. Have you been able to get any codes off the computer?

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
I might know what the issue maybe.

Look at the fuse block, on top of the battery. Are there melted, or bad looking wires? I had a battery die a horrible death, right on the side of the freeway. I had it towed, and bought a new battery. A few weeks later, the same thing happened. It was the wire to the altenator, from the battery fuse block to the altenator. It wasn't sending the juice from A to B. The altenator was fine, it was the wire.

It still wasn't a "cheap" fix, but not as bad as if it was the altenator itself.

Good luck to you!

·
tim
66 Posts
hi and welcome, question , when you say the car won`t start , do you mean the starter engages and turns the motor over but wont run? or you turn the key to start and nothing happens, starter does not even turn the engine ?

·
BEAR
109 Posts
I spent 20 yeaars with Toyota as a service writer and can tell you battery tests are not always accurate. That being said Dnyed seems to have some experience in this area and the wiring and fuse box area should be checked.

·
BlueBug2002
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2002 NB won't start

Hi All,
I will check over those fuses, I had to disconnect the Pos wire from the fuse box to the battery-don't remember anything looking weird or melted, however I will check again.
As for what happens, there's no click or anything when I turn the key however the buzz noise of the fuel pump (?) still sounds when I open the door, all the lights/buzzers/whistles (haha!) still turn on.
I will keep you all posted!
I just don't fancy towing it somewhere only to have them
ransom me...
:rolleyes:
Marsha

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Have the starter checked next then. Not sure if removing the starter is something that you can do easily or not. Unfortunately, they have to be out of the car to be tested.

Otherwise, re-checking the fuses on top of the battery box and the wire leading to the starter are good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts