NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all just recently purchased my first Beetle a 2001 New beetle GLS used and love him so far.. YES I dun care what anyone says The car feels like a him to me.

not perfect but what can you expect I did have a few questions if anyone wants to take a stab at them.

firstly I've been doing some looking and reading and from the look of my beetle I can see some of it is true. Like the seats staining easily, brittle plastic, and the rubberizing coating on it coming off easy.

anything else I should know as a first time beetle driver?
already got to ebay looking for a Owners manual and a Bentley service book. (found that tip here,) and calling the dealer about any recalls tomorrow morning. (also tip found here)

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Welcome to the Org. If you havent already you should check out our Facebook page "The Collective!"
Dont worry, my 2002 is a boy. His name is N00ber. Sounds like you have done your research. I have special yellow seats in mine, and they dont like my black winter jacket. I have heard good things about a product called Lexol. It is supposed to be very good at cleaning leather. The plastic is not as strong as it should be, and yes, the wonderful soft touch coating VW put on EVERY surface. If your up for it, it is semi easily removed with heavy duty cleaner/degreaser, and a scrubby of some sorts, I havent yet done it..too lazy! :p

Things you should know: Your beetle will be the most awesome car you will drive. It has the power to turn heads and start slug bug brawls in school yards. It also has some mechanical problems that, based on the age of your car, should be addressed. You should look into the Timing belt/tensioner/water pump. If these havent been replaced you are living on borrowed time and should buy some lotto tickets. :cool: If you have VW's wonderful automatic, it would be wise to look into a flush and filter.
Also, good job on finding out about the Bently, I dont yet have one, its on my list of things to get.

Dont be a stranger. You should also know, out unwritten rule number 1 is, Post a Picture. We love pics.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Well, isn't much that Matty didn't cover, so here's a warm Carolina Welcome to the ORG. If you like the site become a member supporter! :rolleyes: and as Matty said post some photos of your car!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Welcome! I am not mechanically inclined, but being an auto detailer by trade I can help with the cosmetics! As far as the rubber surfaces peeling off, you will find some Orgers going the whole nine yards and scraping it all off and starting over, Kudos to them. I was too lazy for that, so I have been using Plasti dip in matt black with good results. Staining of fabric seats? Yep, in my business, fabric seats are a menace. They hold onto EVERY stain. What I recommend if a vehicle is new, spraying scotch guard all over those suckers. That will definitely help. If they are old and already plenty dirty, get them professionally shampooed THEN Scotch Guard. If you are anything like me and loath fabric seats, I bought leather seat covers off the shelf for the front seats only. Good luck with your NB. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

What color, engine, interior, wheels? We need details! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts