NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this forum while searching the net for things related to my new New Beetle Iggy. She is a 2001 1.8T GLS with 103,000 miles on her. Have come back a lot since then and decided I should join up already...just do it! :cool:

I found my NB after a long time looking...who knew cyber green was such a popular color and so hard to find secondhand :p

I had to drive a long way to catch one before somebody else did; but she was totally worth the trip. A good friend owns a German auto repair shop. He is from Germany and trained there so he knows his way around German cars quite well. He told me not to get a NB because they fall apart (which broke my heart but I didn't listen, obviously). He gave her the once over after I bought her :eek:hnoes: and said she was actually in pretty decent shape and he was surprised :heart: (good news after I broke his golden rule which was not to buy a car before he looked at it and his second rule which was not to get a NB...lol).

I haven't had her quite a month yet and already had an airbag light (seems from what I've seen on here, I would be in the minority if I didn't get one so I feel special that I've already been there done that and can move on for now ;)); but that hasn't come back on since my friend read and reset it (something to do with a seatbelt sensor so may be replacing that I guess if the light comes back). Other than that, the only thing needed was a fan regulator replacement which was like that on the lot (ac was blowing hot when standing still during test drive, not good in Florida) so it was replaced by the dealer free of charge.
My friend/mechanic was right about the NB falling apart as far as the interior when I consider all the little parts that I need to replace (leaving me with the perfect excuse for little personal touches like color accents, etc); but I am hoping good upkeep/maintenance will keep her mechanically sound for a long time to come :).

I actually found Iggy's 1 and only other owner on facebook (dealer left old registration in glove box) and we are FB friends now. That is how I found out her name was Iggy and I decided to keep it since she had already lived 12 years with it. Also found out she was special ordered from dealer so she would have black leather interior instead of tan which is exactly what I would've done if I had been ordering her. She also has all the other bells and whistles I would've ordered too like fog lights, sunroof, power windows/locks, heated mirrors, rims instead of hubcaps, etc...we are a match made in NB Heaven :marriage:
Thanks for reading my long-winded post. I can't help it, I'm just too excited to be a NB owner and wanted to shout it out to people that appreciate that fact. :nblove:

I LOVE MY LITTLE GREEN BALL OF FUN IGGY!!! :D:D:D:D

P.S. can anyone out there tell me how I go about adding a pic to my profile so it shows up when I post or adding signature line? Is there an instructions part of the forum somewhere I haven't found yet?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
:)Welcome to the ORG, and Congrats on your Beetle!!

Please post pics when you can,

Happy Driving,

JonK

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome Iggy! :party:

Yes, our beloved New Beetles are a little finicky, but we love them. I like to say, our New Beetles are so much fun, they should be illegal! :lol:

We have a group of Org members over at Facebook. It's called the Collective, and I hope you can join us there too!

Whatever you do, have fun with that Cyber Green New Beetle. There's no color like that out there! :D

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
P.S. can anyone out there tell me how I go about adding a pic to my profile so it shows up when I post or adding signature line? Is there an instructions part of the forum somewhere I haven't found yet?
Go to your User CP (above, left) and navigate there.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome...so fun to find a place full of people that enjoy their beetles as much as I do. :D

Figuring out how to use the account. Got an avatar and signature line figured out...now to figure out pics...

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only have a couple of the dealer pix at the moment. Need to break out the 7D and give her a real photo shoot...lol

:jumpy:

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Another Florida New Beetle!

You baby looks sweet! Congratulations! And it's great that you live in Fl! We have a lot of New Beetle events here that you can partake of and meet some of the finest people anywhere.

The next big one is a get together in Orlando called Jingle Bugs Rock. It's mainly an air cooled Beetle show that us New Beetles are slowly taking over! My local club, DuvalDubs, makes a big presence there every year. The admission is a toy for the Marine Corps. Toys for Tots program.

It's great to have you on board. Dd has active members in Tampa as well as Orlando. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Check out the events and planning threads and see what I mean about the local events. Once you get your feet wet we can discuss the bigger national events like TOD and Roswell.

Again, Welcome

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, I'll have to talk DH into events; or just go without him since he is not a beetle lover...just a tolerator. Although, I've been letting him drive Iggy when we go out as a family and he seems to be enjoying himself. If he ends up liking her too much I already know how to get her back all to myself again because he said if I ever put the daisy rims on her (which I would absolutely love to do) that he would never drive her again, not even to get gas for me...lol. :p

I've seen a lot of ppl here mentioning TOD and Roswell. Sounds really cool. Would love it...

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Tod

If he ever got to drive the Beetle on US 129 in North Carolina and Tennessee you would NEVER get the car back! A new Beetle on TOD is like driving a formula one race care in the mountains.

All he has to do is go to TOD once and he will be forever hooked. And once he sees some of the Macho Beetles there and at Roswell it will be all over. Some of those Beetles are pushing 500hp to the wheels, Some have Nitrous Oxide boost added, and some are lowered and supercharged.

Better order those daisy wheels while you have the chance!

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Welcome to the org.

I have a cyber green beetle too.

Can the old owner tell you if the timing belt was changed.
If not please get your mechanic friend to replace it as soon as possible. Its an 11 year old rubber belt and if it breaks it is thousands of dollars to fix.

Don't want to scare you but want you and your bug to have many fun years together.

Please consider coming to Jiggle bugs rocks in December,You will be able to meet some of us crazy bug people.

Gotta luv them little round cars. :)

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
A TAMPA NEW BEETLE?!?! A TAMPA ORGER?!?!
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

A humongous welcome to the org family and the wonderful wide world of new beetles:banana:

I was raised not too far from you- Brooksville...howdy neighbor:D Now living in Jacksonville; my wife got me up this way:lol: Anyhoo, Chuckie said it so well- The Tampa/Orlando org connection is very strong and active here as well as on the FL streets. They are affilated with Duval Dubs and travel up this way as we make our trips down that way too.

Believe me, Iggy's Mom- you're not alone with your man being a "beetle tolerator" or as some call themselves a "beetle widow/widower". SMW, my supermodel wife, wore that badge proudly, until she kept hanging out with us :crazy:beetle people. She's not a beetle nut, but She's all-in with the vibe our groups share. The new beetle experience goes far beyond our cool cars. Get your boy-toy to hang out with us and He'll get bit by the bug...pun intended:D

If you're a facebooker, feel free to give us a visit and become a part of the group. It's a nice way for the Facebook-heavy folk to stay in communication with the org. Check us out- CLICK HERE

Don't be a stranger- post often, especially with pics:D

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the org.

Can the old owner tell you if the timing belt was changed.
If not please get your mechanic friend to replace it as soon as possible. Its an 11 year old rubber belt and if it breaks it is thousands of dollars to fix.

Don't want to scare you but want you and your bug to have many fun years together.

Please consider coming to Jiggle bugs rocks in December,You will be able to meet some of us crazy bug people.

Gotta luv them little round cars. :)
We've actually already looked at it. She didn't know if it had been changed. Mechanic says it has but not sure how old it is. Not drying or cracking yet, but I am trying to schedule an appointment now to have that and water pump replaced. I figure better safe than sorry. What are the dates for Jiggle bugs so I can see if I am working or not?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If he ever got to drive the Beetle on US 129 in North Carolina and Tennessee you would NEVER get the car back! A new Beetle on TOD is like driving a formula one race care in the mountains.

All he has to do is go to TOD once and he will be forever hooked. And once he sees some of the Macho Beetles there and at Roswell it will be all over. Some of those Beetles are pushing 500hp to the wheels, Some have Nitrous Oxide boost added, and some are lowered and supercharged.

Better order those daisy wheels while you have the chance!

Chuckie
Sounds like a lot of fun and yes...I so want the daisy wheels...like badly and with a passion. Think I'll just keep poking him with a stick until he gives in and lets me get them...lol :stickpok:

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A TAMPA NEW BEETLE?!?! A TAMPA ORGER?!?!
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

A humongous welcome to the org family and the wonderful wide world of new beetles:banana:

I was raised not too far from you- Brooksville...howdy neighbor:D Now living in Jacksonville; my wife got me up this way:lol: Anyhoo, Chuckie said it so well- The Tampa/Orlando org connection is very strong and active here as well as on the FL streets. They are affilated with Duval Dubs and travel up this way as we make our trips down that way too.

Believe me, Iggy's Mom- you're not alone with your man being a "beetle tolerator" or as some call themselves a "beetle widow/widower". SMW, my supermodel wife, wore that badge proudly, until she kept hanging out with us :crazy:beetle people. She's not a beetle nut, but She's all-in with the vibe our groups share. The new beetle experience goes far beyond our cool cars. Get your boy-toy to hang out with us and He'll get bit by the bug...pun intended:D

If you're a facebooker, feel free to give us a visit and become a part of the group. It's a nice way for the Facebook-heavy folk to stay in communication with the org. Check us out- CLICK HERE

Don't be a stranger- post often, especially with pics:D
Howdy back atcha :curtsey:

Yes, I am rockin the bug in Tampa :guitar:
I have seen you in a lot of threads I've read (I mean lots). I always enjoy your posts and thought it was great that you were right there up the way from me. We actually have family in Jax...

P.S. tyvm for the dancing banana...makes me think of family guy and "peanut butter jelly time" is now running through my noggin...

:banana: peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat...where ya at? where ya at? LOL

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome to the ORG I had an 01 CyberGreen TDI.
TY for the welcome :D

I see you moved up a year...means you have the cup holders that swivel out so you can kinda use 1 of them at a time right? Someone posted in error that they started that in '01 and I ran out to my driveway to check what I had missed only to find out that they later corrected themselves and said it started in '02. I was so sad :crying:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts