NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Air Cooled Relic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the great state of North Carolina. Obviously I am new to this site and just want to introduce myself and ask for a little help.

As my handle says I am an old air breather looking to get my feet wet. I purchased my first Bug in February of 1970 after I turned 16. I literally was able to drive it off the show room floor. She is “Ol’Yeller. And over the years I have been blessed and have had the opportunity to own and play with an assortment of neat “toys”.

Here is were I need your help - I am looking at the New Beetle and do not know which Year/engine/sub model would be a good one to start with. I am leaning toward the 2005 to 2007. I have been reading posts on this site as well as others and trying to do my homework. I would truly like to hear the pros and cons form you. Nobody knows the ins and outs of these automobiles better than ya’ll. My plans for the car are simple – more show than go. Do not get me wrong, there will be some mods to “help” with the go just not the all out. I want to keep it reliable so if I want to jump in it and cruse to the beach I can.

I am going to ask one more thing, just because I am an Air Cooled relic, please don’t treat me as an outcast. I made the mistake on a different site of mentioning that I was looking at the New Beetle – The out pouring of hate was over whelming. You would have thought that I shot JR. I do not understand nor was I expecting that reaction.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Welcome! We love all VWs!:)

If you want performance and speed the 1.8T is the way to go. This engine was discontinued in 05. If you will drive it frequently and can get it out on the highway then the TDI is fun. Great mpg and easy to mod. This engine was discontinued in 06. The only engine available for 07 was the 2.5.
I would only buy a used VW if I could see all maintenance records and know that it had the proper oil.

Good luck shopping!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Welcome from Texas! We are surely glad you found us here at the new beetle.org
I think I remember hearing something, about someone shot Jr!
But it was a long time ago, back in the 80's. I have a 99 2.0 with a5 speed in it. I absolutely love the car, it gets good mileage, and its going on 175,000 miles original clutch, alternator, starter, and much much more!
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!
I have a 12 and love it and have friends with the 2.5 in the newer NB form that like the reliability and spirited response that it provides.

·
Air Cooled Relic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to each of you for your input. I feel a little like a fish out of water (no pun intended). If you want to talk Air I can talk all day but when it comes to water I just do not know where to start. I have been test driving bugs (sorry New Beetles) of all ages and configurations and still have not been able to make a decision. However, I have been able to rule out a few earlier models only because they do not have all of the amities that I would like to have.

Anyway I am getting a feel for these cars and I have kicked myself in the butt for not looking sooner. If these idiots who think that the NB is not a bug would just drive one they would realize that they are a blast to drive. They have good power and they handle great plus all the comfort ( power windows, seats, mirrors as well as heated front seats, not to mention a real sound systems, etc)

I will never give up Air but Water is going to be a part of my life in the future.

Thanks Again

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
If these idiots who think that the NB is not a bug would just drive one they would realize that they are a blast to drive. They have good power and they handle great plus all the comfort ( power windows, seats, mirrors as well as heated front seats, not to mention a real sound systems, etc)
If more air-cooled owners shared this sentiment, the needless division between air vs water and original Beetles vs NBs/12+ would cease. As you said in another thread I started, Ferdinand Porsche would be proud to see what his People's Car has evolved into. I feel the only reason modern Bugs aren't as iconic (at least yet) as the old air-cooleds is because we live in a different time. Back in the Glory Years of VW in the 60s, you didn't have the competition from Asian automakers that you do today.

At any rate, you have joined the greatest water-cooled Beetle community on the planet. ;)

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Hi welcome to the org. That site you mentioned, did it happen to be VWVortex? They are a bunch of people who feel that the only beetle is an air cooled beetle.

Here on the Org. we happily embrace all beetles, though we love our water beetles just a pinch more. :)

I have a 2002 1.8t Double Yellow Color Concept. Not one regret. We all have our fun stories, and our head scratching repair stories. We look forward to seeing your beetle when you finally take him home. :)

Greets from frigid Minnesota. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
There are several of us here in NC that get together regularly for Beetle fun. Hope you can join us, water or air, it's all Beetle.

·
Air Cooled Relic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
******, I hope to be able to play soon. My bug and giha are in storage, so to speak, for the winter. I have become a creature that likes a heater and heated seats in the winter. I have found 3 NB that I am negotiating on this weekend. I hope that one of them come through. If not then I will start over, but; I will eventually become a proud owner of a water beetle before it is all over. I want to attend the TOD this year just to see what ya'll do to have fun. So to be able to do this I have to find the NB that is right for me.

·
Air Cooled Relic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

To everyone that has posted and offered their suggests and the info on their bugs it is truly appreciated. I also want to thank everyone for accepting this air breather as you have. I was truly apprehensive about posting because I will not mask my roots and I was afraid that because of my roots I would be pre judged. It feels good to be an air cooled relic and a Water Cooled newbie at the same time. Again thank you , I am truly looking forward to learning from you. I know that I do not have 44 plus years to play in the water but I want to make the most of what time I can. Thanks.

·
Air Cooled Relic
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My new Bug

Thanks to everyone on line and off for their suggestions. I have taken everyone's comments and have purchased a 2009 Beetle today. The attached picture is a dealer picture. I am working on what the tag should read. My options at this point is: 1.jpg

WHATABUG or SHAG'VW or WATRBUG or RED-BUGY

What do you all think?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
First off...Congrats on the new ride. Myself...I like watrbug.
You will grow to love that red vert.
And we cant wait to meet you and your Beetle at T.o.D.
When ya get your ducs in a row and start making plans to attend give me a holler and I will add ya to the attendance list.
And welcome home. We are a pretty tight knit family over here, so it's mighty fine to have ya in our folds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts