NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well my wife has owned a 1999 Beetle since it first came out and now I'm driving it cuz she has the kid-mobile (i.e. minivan). I just had an O2 sensor changed for $350 and I think I've had enough of outside mechanics so I'm going to try to do some basic maintenance myself (yeah I guess better late than never). I already have most of equipment (e.g. jack and stands cuz I change the tires on the minivan).

So just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone and apologize first for stupid questions as I'm really a car noob. I've already read a lot on the forum including the newbie guide, but I'll definitely have more questions soon. In the meantime Happy Holidays to everyone.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
If you are doing things DIY now, you'll want to pick yourself up a Bentley Service manual for the car. Best manual you will buy!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hi all, well my wife has owned a 1999 Beetle since it first came out and now I'm driving it cuz she has the kid-mobile (i.e. minivan). I just had an O2 sensor changed for $350 and I think I've had enough of outside mechanics so I'm going to try to do some basic maintenance myself (yeah I guess better late than never). I already have most of equipment (e.g. jack and stands cuz I change the tires on the minivan).

So just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone and apologize first for stupid questions as I'm really a car noob. I've already read a lot on the forum including the newbie guide, but I'll definitely have more questions soon. In the meantime Happy Holidays to everyone.
Welcome and "Merry Christmas" and a Happy New Year to you as well!
The only stupid question is the one that hasn't been asked. ;) So don't be shy and ask away.

I do second the suggestion of Smileybug to get a Bently Publishing Repair Manual. A lot better than Haynes which doesn't show a fraction of the detail that the Bentley shows.
That said, if you get a DVD version make sure it isn't used or registered. A friends just gave me his DVD version since he no longer has a beetle and when I tried to use it it wouldn't install. I called Bentley and they told me that the DVD versions are not transferable to anyone and she was getting kinda rude with me on the phone. So make sure when you do buy a Bentley from anyone on E-Bay that it isn't a used copy because it will be useless to you. I do believe that MORAV here does have a GREAT deal on a new unregistered copy of the Bentley manual. You may want to get in touch with him if you are interested in getting one. I would buy it in a heartbeat but I am broke at the moment and can't afford a McDonalds Happy Meal :D

Merry Christmas to Everyone and to all a good night. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I do have an extra Bentley Repair Manual DVD-ROM, current version, unopened, yet to be registered. Updates are available for free download once registered. $65 shipped anywhere in the Lower 48.
More info -
Volkswagen New Beetle: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 including Convertible Repair Manual on DVD-ROM *-* Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books
The only available version is written for XP, but may run on Vista and Windows 7, be sure to read about compatibility here
https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/faqs/Windows+7%2C+Vista+and+XP+Compatibility

This IS NOT a digital version of the paper Bentley Service Manual. The content is far beyond the paper, this being more for the Tech, while the paper is designed for basic repairs of the DIYer. I have both, but seldom refer to the paper. One only has to look at many of my "response" posts to have an idea of what is contained in the DVD-ROM version.

@ Tom - Sorry it didn't work out, Ownership is clearly non-transferable, but there are provisions for subsequent downloads to multiple computers and replacement computers by the original owner, hint, hint. Seems mine is going nowhere quick, however, as 1/2 price seems to be more than anyone wants to pay, and I have no reason to give it away. And at $65, you won't buy the paper cheaper.

@ nitroman - Btw, Welcome to the Org!

MORAV

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Welcome to the Org Nitroman! :wave2:

Thanks for caring for yor New Beetle! :clap:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
This IS NOT a digital version of the paper Bentley Service Manual. The content is far beyond the paper, this being more for the Tech, while the paper is designed for basic repairs of the DIYer. I have both, but seldom refer to the paper. One only has to look at many of my "response" posts to have an idea of what is contained in the DVD-ROM version.

@ Tom - Sorry it didn't work out, Ownership is clearly non-transferable, but there are provisions for subsequent downloads to multiple computers and replacement computers by the original owner, hint, hint. Seems mine is going nowhere quick, however, as 1/2 price seems to be more than anyone wants to pay, and I have no reason to give it away. And at $65, you won't buy the paper cheaper.

MORAV
Thanks for the Tip MORAV. The DVD I have received is one of the older type that covers the New Beetle 1998-2002 which is fine by me since I have the 2000 Beetle. Of course it is useless to me since it doesn't install. Lets see what Santa brings me this year and if you Bentley is still available perhaps I can acquire it from you at the MORAV after Christmas Sale ;)

Merry Christmas Everyone!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome. I actually bought the Haynes manual, first cuz I'm cheap, haha, and second I wanted to also buy a Sienna manual and it seems Bentley doesn't have one, and I thought that having the same publisher for both books would help in that it'll be organized/written similarly. But now you guys are making me regret that decision :). But one question, since the DVD-ROM is more for the Tech, does it refer to VW specific tools, and will a car noob like me have troubles understanding it? That was one fear of buying the Bentley, I was afraid it'll be too advanced for me.

Well as with most people, this XMas season I'm way past my budget so I'll maybe ask MORAV again later when I get more funds. BTW, I live in Canada so I don't know if you'll ship up here or not :).

One last question about Bentley manuals, there the regular one that covers years 1998-2009, and then there's this older one that only covers 1998-1999.
Amazon.com: Volkswagen New Beetle 1998, 1999 : Service Manual, 2.0L Gasoline, 1.9L Tdi Diesel, 1.8L Turbo (9780837603858): Bentley Publishers, Robert Bentley Inc.: Books

Since I have a 1999 model, will this old version suffice (just curious if I find it used or on sale somewhere in the future). Does the newer edition have extra information that's needed? Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome. I actually bought the Haynes manual, first cuz I'm cheap, haha, and second I wanted to also buy a Sienna manual and it seems Bentley doesn't have one, and I thought that having the same publisher for both books would help in that it'll be organized/written similarly. But now you guys are making me regret that decision :). But one question, since the DVD-ROM is more for the Tech, does it refer to VW specific tools, and will a car noob like me have troubles understanding it? That was one fear of buying the Bentley, I was afraid it'll be too advanced for me.

Well as with most people, this XMas season I'm way past my budget so I'll maybe ask MORAV again later when I get more funds. BTW, I live in Canada so I don't know if you'll ship up here or not :).

One last question about Bentley manuals, there the regular one that covers years 1998-2009, and then there's this older one that only covers 1998-1999.
Amazon.com: Volkswagen New Beetle 1998, 1999 : Service Manual, 2.0L Gasoline, 1.9L Tdi Diesel, 1.8L Turbo (9780837603858): Bentley Publishers, Robert Bentley Inc.: Books

Since I have a 1999 model, will this old version suffice (just curious if I find it used or on sale somewhere in the future). Does the newer edition have extra information that's needed? Thanks everyone.
I do ship to Canada, no problem. Have to look and see what kind of premium I have been paying for media to Canada. Probably no more than another $5. I've mailed Owner's Manuals there, gifts, don't you know, so no duty.

And yes, the earlier editions of the Bentley, I actually think the current paper is the Third Edition, will suffice just fine. Watch eBay, I have seen them go as low as $20, but also see the early editions outrageously priced. One there right now, but priced way high. Another option, if you want both, is to buy one at full price from Bentley Publishing, and then the other is hlf price.

Btw, Haynes wasn't a bad idea. They are cheap, I paid $20 shipped for the '98-'05 edition, also bought a Chilton's for about $10 (both new). You do occasionaly find certain things in one that are not in another (or a different perspective on diagnostics). And you can always unload it, here or on eBay. I do promise, for a DIYer, there is nothing that compares to the Bemtley DVD.

Here are some papers available on eBay right now -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/53763-bentley-manuals-available-ebay-elsewhere.html#post770941

M.

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Welcome to the org!
You have long history with NB! I like that :thup:

Greetings from Finland. Merry Christmas too :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts