VW Beetle Forum banner

Hello everyone! New to the Beetle scene.

4K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  IggysMom 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! My name is Caity and I just bought a 2000 VW New Beetle Automatic. It's my very first car (I've been saving up for months to buy it) and while it has some problems, I absolutely love it! I'm here because I'm not that car savvy but am eager to learn how to do my own work on it because I feel that it is an important skill to learn.

So without further ado, meet Cupcake!

This is Cupcake the day I drove him home. His right taillight is out and I used youtube to learn how to replace it.

He's only got 69k miles on him! Well, supposedly. I also noticed that while driving him, that the blue coolant temperature light came on and off. According to the manual, that means that the engine is too cold (?). Does anyone have any idea what that could mean?

Cupcake's interior has some issues and like most Volkswagen Beetles looks a little outdated. I want to give him a nice chrome finish so that when/if I resell him in the future, he appeals to a more general audience. His biggest interior problem is his sunshade, where the headliner is beginning to come off.

Does anyone know how to remove the sunshade and reattach a headliner to it?

Electronically, for some reason the door on the passenger side does not unlock when I use the remote. It seems to unlock (the piston goes up) but when the passenger tries to open it, it will not. Once in a while this will also happen to the driver's side.

Right by the hood the second release has lost its Volkswagen emblem and now sticks out from under the hood. The man we bought it from told us that if we took it to the VW dealership that they could fix it (but I'd rather not take that route).

Otherwise, after a nice bath and cleaning Cupcake will be ready to have some fun. I'm excited to join the community and learn! Thank you so much and sorry for the long wall of text XD!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

I'm glad you adopted Cupcake. He needed someone like you. :)

The blue temp light is there when you start up after not driving for awhile, such as overnight. It will go off when the engine is warm. What it means is to not drive it hard, until it's warmed up. It's the RED temp light that you should worry about....... :eek:

There are several Org members who have re-done their headliners. It's a chore, but very worthwhile. You can add a truly personal touch with that!

Get your projects done one by one, and enjoy your new-to-you New Beetle! :clap:

#3 ·
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

Welcome to the ORG.

Don't worry about the Blue coolant light is it normal for it to come on when you first start out and then go off when you reach operating temperature.

Two things you should get done ASAP.
1.) Timing Belt, Water pump, Tensioner and Pulley.
Even thou your car only has around 70k miles the timing belt is almost 13 years old. Rubber ages and you don't want to trust a 13 year old rubber band with your engine. Once it goes your engine will have a very headbanging party where the pistons and valves will collide. Once that happens it's bye bye beetle until you get the head rebuilt and that will cost over 2000 Dollars easy. More if you have the dealer do the work.

2.) Change the transmission fluid and filter. ASAP. Since you have the worst transmission ever built by VW which has a weak valve body and is prone to failure you should change the fuild in it as soon as you can. VW deemed it a lifetime fluid but it basically means the lifetime of the warranty. That fluid in there will be as dark as night but since you don't have any symptoms of hard shifts etc. it may not be too late to get some fresh fluid in there and keep that transmission going a little longer.

Good Luck and Please don't be a stranger.

#5 ·
Welcome...hope you enjoy your new beetle.

That hood latch looks like a jerry-rig. The original is plastic and T-shaped and only sticks out when the hood is released to open it up. Common issue is that they stop popping out or break off altogether. Common jerry-rig is a bent coat hanger sticking out from under the hood. Mine doesn't like to pop out when I pop the hood release so I will be scouring the salvage yards for one myself soon :p.

Good luck with Cupcake, doing the fix-ups yourself is fun.

#10 ·
Caity, your NB looks great!
The best thing you can do if you truly want to do your own repairs and such, is to go to your local parts store (oreilly, auto zone, etc) and purchase a repqir manual. It will contain almost all of the info you will need to make most repairs to your car.
The first thing I had to do when I got my NB (now a Pink Zebra)was to replace the water pump. I was somewhat apprehensive about the job ahead of me but when I got into it it became a simple task (just follow the directions in the book). All went wel and I replaced the timing belt and such while making the repair. I suggest you purchase a OBD-II reader, a valuable tool when trying to determine why you might be having problems.
The remote locking problem you are having could be several things. The most likely are the locking mechanism in the passenger door needs to be lubricated or possibly the remote needs to be reset. The procedure to reset the remote and key are in your manual or the repair manual. This is a very expensive fix if done by the dealer. Learn to do it yourself or find an intelligent locksmith with the tools to do it. I was able to find a locksmith here who came to the car and reground new keys and reprogrammed all for $200. Best of luck with your car and if I can be of any help please ask. Woodhog@windstream.net:)

#13 ·
Hi there guys! Sorry for the lack of replies. I definitely did not get tired of Cupcake!

Cupcake is 2.0 Automatic.

So far Cupcake hasn't had much work done on him because of money issues. I'm starting to work on him slowly again, and trying not to force him to drive too much while I repair. I had to get my registration, title transfer, and tags which ended up amounting to 700 dollars (yipes).

Debris was flying through his air conditioning, so I did my first diy today and replaced the cabin air filter myself. The filter cost about 15 dollars and it took me about 20-30 minutes to replace completely.Here is a picture of the inside when I opened it. This weekend I will be changing the transmission fluid (not by myself as it seems a bit too complex for me) and have made a mental list to change the other things that were suggested by you all. My boyfriend and I had to replace the battery last weekend because someone (me) accidentally left my lights on.

Otherwise I have begun to remove the disgusting gunk on the interior of the car and plan on maybe giving some of the parts a chrome finish when I have some time.

I also plan on replacing the door panel liners (?) because someone replaced one without replacing the other. I thought maybe a suede might look good there instead of the vinyl (I'm not a huge fan) but am not so sure how well it would be adhere to the door.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and I have used this site extensively since I bought Cupcake! XD

#15 ·
Where do you live where a title transfer and registration on a 10+year old car is $700 Dollars?? :eek::eek::calvin:
That is just crazy. We in Indiana have one of the highest Excise Taxes on Cars except for vehicles 10 years and older. Those are all $49.95. I can see a couple of bucks more at first to get the title transfered but $700??? :confused: that just doesn't make sense. My 2010 Chevy Impala when it was brand new only cost me about $375 Dollars for the first year and a half so I don't get why it is so high for a 10+ year old Beetle??

Anyway, glad you still have your headache... ehm.. I mean your Beetle :D Congrats about installing a new Cabin filter, however that will not fix your issue with the foam coming out of your vent. That is a totally different issue called the "Blend Door" and that is a little bit more involved than the easy peasy cabin filter ;) To fix that issue you will need to completely take the dash apart. Here is a Great DIY by D2Beetle with pics and everything.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/41973-blend-door-diy.html

When you do change the transmission fluid make sure you change it with VW approved fluid and not some Autozone brand. If you do you will be worse off than before simply because the Chevy and Ford fluids are not designed for the internals of a complex VW Transmission and second you will only get less than half of the fluid out when you take off the transmission pan and one thing you do not want to do is mix VW Transmission fluid with any other transmission fluid. You will end up with Jello in your transmission which will make a transmission shop very happy. ;) Here is a complete kit you can order for your O1M 4speed Automatic transmission.
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Transmission Fluid > ES#261800 Complete Automatic Transmission Service Kit - 01MSKKT

Or if you prefer the Real VW stuff:
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Transmission Fluid > ES#1899548 Complete Automatic Transmission Service Kit - 01MSKKT

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress ;)

#16 ·
Thanks for the advice! How much do you know about VW Beetle Fob keys. Sometimes the key doesn't work so I thought the battery might be dead. When I tried to replace it the immobilizer was triggered and now the ignition locks when I put the key in. The remote locks and unlocks the doors however.

I wasn't given a spare key by the original owner so I am at a complete lost here. I really don't want to have it towed to the VW dealer if I can help it.

I live in Miami and it was my first time ever registering a car. It was pretty upsetting but at least now I can cruise legally!

#17 ·
Hmm, the remote control part has nothing to do with the imobilizer function and just changing the battery shouldn't have triggered anything. The key portion has the imobilizer chip. There have been issues with the door lock system and micro switches in the doors that wear out. What exactly is it doing? Does the car start at all? If the remote unlocks and locks the doors it is doing it's job and there is nothing wrong with it. There are other electrical gremlins that need to be addressed.

#18 ·
Check your fuse box on top of the battery. How do the fuses look? Not just the Buzz fuses but also the Metal Fuses. Do to grounding issues that fuse box has been known to melt down.
Also the large black wire going to the alternator has been known to be inferior and can fail.

And there is always the ignition switch itself. It's worth a look. The wiring to the ignition switch can also get frayed and cause higher resistance and fry the switch.
The switch is easy to replace and not too expensive.

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Ignition Switch > ES#1896875 Ignition Switch - 4B0905849

Here is a Ignition Switch DIY:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/59181-ignition-switch-replacement-diy.html

#19 ·
I'll post back about the fuse box when it becomes light out but the car does not start at all. When I try to turn on the car the key does not turn at all but two clicking sounds are heard from the center console.

The car was in complete working order when I changed the cabin air filter and the failure to start must have happened between the time I replaced the battery and when I tried to start it.

#21 ·
So you replaced the cabin filter and the battery at the same time?? The cabin filter won't have anything to do with the car not starting but it stands to reason that whoever installed the battery messed something up and didn't hook it up properly. Replacing the battery in a beetle is a bit more involved than in other cars. Do check the fuse box on top of the battery and double check all the connections to the battery to make sure they are where they are suppose to be. Also there are ground connections below the battery tray which can become corroded or loose. I actually would remove the battery check out the connections under the battery tray. Clean and tighten as necessary then reinstall the battery and make double sure all the connections are where they are suppose to be. Make sure all the fuses and connections to the fuse box on top of the battery are in place and not melted or frayed.

Don't tow it to the dealer. They will rip you a new one and then charge you double for the pleasure :p

I would check for some reputable VW/Audi type shops in your area. They won't be cheap but they will be a lot more reasonable than any dealer will be.

You can use this link and put in your address and see what shops might be near you.

There are TONS of them in the Miami and Hollywood area of Florida.
Miami Volkswagen Repair Shops | Independent Volkswagen Service in Miami, FL | VCarShops.com

#20 · (Edited)
Does the little bug shaped light with a key under it turn off shortly after you put the key in the ignition or stay on? View attachment 98376
It looks like this only beetle shaped over key. It will be at just before 1 o'clock over top of your speedo.
View attachment 98377
It's the top right yellow light in this pic. Just too blurry to see well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#25 ·
To clarify I've made a miniature time line to explain what has happened:

01/26/13: My boyfriend and I replace the car's battery together. The car starts up just fine and there doesn't appear to be any problems. I drive it to class and work without an issue.

01/29/13 1:00PM: I buy a cabin air filter and replace it. After replacing it I start up the car to make sure everything works. The air is working even better than before and I have no problems with it.

01/29/13 3:00PM: I open up the inside of the key to see the size of the battery. Note that it has 2 CR1616 batteries inside. I don't have any but plan on going to Walmart to buy the batteries and a cassette to mp3 converter later.

01/29/13 6:30PM: Completely irrelevant but I give Cupcake a wash with Meguiar's and completely spoil him (so he should be nicer to me).

01/29/13 7:20PM: Boyfriend arrives home so we set off to eat/go to Walmart. I put the key into the ignition and try to turn it and realize that it won't budge at all. To my recollection there was no light on the dash when this happened but I will double check it when I get home from work.

01/29/13 9:00PM (or so): Walmart did not have the batteries we needed, and neither did Advanced Auto Parts or CVS. We tried to start it once again but still to no avail. The remote is working however, and locks and unlocks the car.

01/30/13 6:00AM: I go outside and try to start the car again: still nothing. It makes a small clicking sound that sounds like it is coming from the radio. They are slow-paced and there is always only two of them. The lights still turn on, the radio, everything.

I contacted the nearest VW Dealership and they said that they would not give me an estimate until they had "inspected" the car. I contacted another one and just told them I needed my remote programmed but they want to charge me 127 dollars for it.

I'm going to pop open the hood and take some pictures of the fusebox so you can take a look at it since I'm not entirely sure what to look for. It seemed perfectly fine when we replaced the battery, however. My boyfriend accidentally took my key to his work so it might be a while before I have the pictures for you. Thank you for helping me!

#26 ·
Okay, so you say you took the batteries out of the remote but it still looks and unlooks the car? :confused: That is physically impossible :D I am sure you put the old batteries back in and that is how you are getting the doors to lock and unlock ;) Since the remote is working reprogramming it would be a futile maneuver. The only task for the remote fob is to unlock and lock your doors and your rear hatch (plus the panic button) but that is it. If it does all this there is no need for any reprogramming. And who the heck told you it is going to cost $127 to do that? What a Rip!! You can do it yourself via the door lock system and a second key in the ignition.
But that is another story. Again, the Remote section of your Key fob has NOTHING to do with your car not starting.
If you car isn't starting then something isn't right with your battery installation. Your car battery installation not the key fob installation. :p That clicking noise when you turn the key is the starter solenoid. That usually means your battery is dead or not strong enough to activate the starter motor. So retrace your steps when you took the battery out and double check all the connections. Then you will need to charge the battery for a while or jump start the car to see if it starts. Your lights might still come on but the battery may still be too low to crank the engine. So charge it and then try to start it. If it starts after jumping it or starting it you know that there is something either wrong with the way you installed the battery or the alternator is kaputt and you will need a new one. Make sure the Large Black CAble from the battery fuse box is securely connected and also connected to the alternator. If not then there is your problem.

Good Luck to you and I hope you get it running again soon!

Please Keep us posted.

#32 ·
Okay, so I'm back! Here is a picture of the fusebox, as you can see the red fuse on the end is missing. We attempted to jump start the car but that did absolutely nothing for it. I also checked to see if the light that IggysMom informed me of was on, which it was not.

I checked what I believe to be the alternator. The black cord seems to connect but kind of splits apart at the end to many little wires that seem kind of loose and held together with a zippy tie. It doesn't really look very safe to be honest.

I think this is the alternator (?)! You can kind of see the wires and the zippy ties.

My attempt to getting a better picture of the wires.

#33 ·
If you don't have that little light then it has nothing to do with the immobilizer system which is great. I am still kind of confused though. Did you say the key wont turn at all in the ignition, or did you mean the ignition turns but the car won't start?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#36 ·
:confused: Okay, I am more confused now. So you are saying that the key itself doesn't turn the ignition switch? Is the ignition cylinder stuck? :confused:

I thought you heard a clicking noise when you turned the key?? Thinking that you actually can turn the key in the ignition. So that key you insert can't be turned at all? Not even to the first position??

#37 · (Edited)
Also I don't think the picture you posted is your alternator. It looks more like one of your electric cooling fans??

Alternator is located on the Passenger side and runs of your accessory belt.

Here is a DIY on how to replace an alternator on a 1.8 engine.
Should be pretty similar on a 2.0

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-modifications/48445-alternator-swap-diy.html

But without the key being able to turn in the ignition you are kinda screwed. So even if the battery works you wouldn't know since you can't turn the key.

Also have you checked the timing belt?? Take the plastic timing belt cover off and make sure that belt is still in place and hasn't snapped or jumped a tooth. With the age of your car and never been serviced for the timing belt and water pump that is definitely another area that can cause major problems which can run into the thousands of dollars if not addressed.

WOW, it seems your beetle definitely has it's share of issues. I hope you will get them straightened out. Personally, once you get it running I would try to sell it and see if you can get something more reliable. That thing just spells TROUBLE with a Capital T.

#39 ·
Also I don't think the picture you posted is your alternator. It looks more like one of your electric fans??

Alternator is located on the Passenger side and runs of your accessory belt.

Here is a DIY on how to replace an alternator on a 1.8 engine.
Should be pretty similar on a 2.0

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-modifications/48445-alternator-swap-diy.html

But without the key being able to turn in the ignition you are kinda screwed. So even if the battery works you wouldn't know since you can't turn the key.

Also have you checked the timing belt?? Take the plastic timing belt cover off and make sure that belt is still in place and hasn't snapped or jumped a tooth. With the age of your car and never been serviced for the timing belt and water pump that is definitely another area that can cause major problems which can run into the thousands of dollars if not addressed.

WOW, it seems your beetle definitely has it's share of issues. I hope you will get them straightened out. Personally, once you get it running I would try to sell it and see if you can get something more reliable. That thing just spells TROUBLE with a Capital T.
Going back to the root of the problem, I think at this point the best solution is to tow it to a VW dealership and have them take a look at it, sadly as I been reading we're bringing up a whole bunch of issues that didn't exist before.

Plain and simple, when we place the key in the ignition, it doesn't turn AT ALL. This started happening when Nivi opened up the key to change the batteries. The car drove 100% fine until the point of not being able to turn on, regardless of being tied with a zippy tie and missing a fuse cable :( We'll deal with these issues once the car starts at least!

We'll keep you posted when we have the opportunity to take it.

Thanks for the help so far!

#38 ·
The ignition switch itself is easy to fix but the ignition lock itself is a dealer item only since they would have to issue you a totally new set of keys that would fit the new ignition lock cylinder. I assume the key has turned the ignition lock previously so was it damaged in one way or another? Have you tried pulling on the steering wheel while turning the key to see if it would unlook?

#42 ·
Thank you so much for the help everyone!

Now that we can at least start the car we're going to take it to a reputable VW repair shop and get some estimates on the things that you've suggested. I really do adore the car so it would be difficult for me to resell it so hopefully I can work it back up into being a nice, reliable car.

You have been so helpful and informative and I've learned so much, again, thank you! I'll be sure to keep you updated on the car's progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.