VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going everyone? First of all let me introduce myself, my name is Chad. I currently live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, but will be making a move to Florida this summer. But that's not really relevant to this, lol.

A long story short I am re acquiring a 2000 VW Beetle that was purchased brand new by my father before he passed away in 2001. It is the 1.8 turbo 5 speed model. It has been in the possession of my uncle for the past 6 to 7 years now since my mother did not want to continue driving a manual transmission through Pittsburgh tunnel traffic, (anyone from pgh understands this all too well). But with my uncle getting my grandmothers Nissan Maxima, he asked if I would like the "bug" back so I said yes! Not only does this car have a certain nostalgic meaning to me, but I also was looking for a small run around car to replace my '99 Lexus RX300 as I do not daily drive my Subaru.

Now that brings me to the next point here, for those who are not familiar with Subaru's my user name is STiEJ257 which broken down means STi = the high performance trim level of the Impreza WRX line and EJ is the motor code for the flat four boxer engines used in the subaru's. And 257 = that the engine is a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder and the number 7 is the internal designation for turbocharged in subaru's.

The beetle I understand is nowhere near what my STi is which is great! It's exactly what I'm looking for a peppy little four cylinder as a daily driver and better yet it's been passed down thru the family.

Now as a little more background on myself I am a master ASE technician and have worked for Toyota and Volkswagen both before moving on over to BMW as where I am currently now.

One thing I have noticed about the DIY sections in this forum was it was lacking some information on things such as, timing belt and water pump write ups, as well as clutch, brakes and engine major/minor and transmission major/minor. With getting my bug back, and it needing some service of the following, Timing belt kit, water pump, brake pads and rotors, clutch, oil change, spark plugs, and who else knows what other maintainence items, I was wondering if any of you would be interested in me doing a very detailed write up for the DIY section on any of these, having my dealer experience and all?

Any who I'm glad to help or answer any questions anyone might have, and hope to meet some new people and make some new friends, I'm an open book and a pretty laid back guy, so don't be shy come say hi :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, we are glad you found us. I have a feeling you're going to like it here! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks! Yeah I have a feeling I will too! I was just strolling around the forum and noticing that everyone is very helpful and friendly to each other. It's really nice to see a group of enthusiasts band together and enjoy automobiles, instead of critiquing each other on there choices. I always thought that the beetle was a very underestimated and misunderstood car. And I've always liked em. When ever I had a R/O for a beetle I'd get a little excited to work on it or drive it, maybe I'm just weird but who cares right? They are fun little cars and just like any other car take care of it and it will take care of you, which is why I hope to do some DIY videos for all you folks on here so you can all keep your beetles going and save some coin by doing yourself!

·
Registered
75 Posts
welcome

Hello and welcome to the forum from northern Ireland! :-D I have a feeling you will be a fantastic addition to the org!

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum from northern Ireland! :-D I have a feeling you will be a fantastic addition to the org!
Thanks for the warm welcome! And I hope to be a good source of information for all of the members here. In the coming weeks (more than likely 2 to 3 time permitting) I will be compiling a few write ups and how to's on Timing Belt and Water Pump Service, Brake Pads and Rotors, as well as other general tasks such as changing oil and spark plugs. As a dealer tech I know that the service dept price gouges like no other, and many others are hesitant to take there car to someone else, some independent shop, that may not know as much or have the correct specialty tools or equipment to service your car, so I feel that everyone should have the ability to service there own vehicle, or at least look through my DIY instructions and gauge for themselves if they feel that they can tackle the project or decide it is beyond there scope and take it to someone for service.

Whether it's a Euro made car, Asian made Car, or American made Car, I think that all of us car people need to stick together and put aside the make, model and mods of this and that aside and realize we are all on a forum for one reason, we all love cars and we just want to be around others who enjoy it just as much.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! I will try my best to provide you all with some good info, knowledge and stories.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!
Thanks for the welcome! And I completed some of my profile last night as well as pictures of my previously owned cars to my current one and I will post up some pictures of my beetle when I can get some time to clean it up and take some pictures.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
WELCOME to the ORG from Tennessee!
YES,we love pics ,be sure to post them so we can get a peek. This is a great site with AWESOME folks. We just love our cars and share the experience with each other here. Take a look at the two links here at the bottom in my signature line :D

We REALLY HAVE A BLAST IN MAY! We have LOTS of ORGERs in Florida that convoy down to Bryson North Carolina for the weekend festivities. New beetle owners drive in from ALL OVER the US! We even had a Canadian ORGER last year as well!! Take a look at the T.O.D 6 thread for the event details.

GLAD you found us.

:p

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Not Relative?

Moving to Florida is not relative to this discussion?

I beg your pardon Sir Chad, Florida is a hotspot of New Beetle activity! We are thick down here and we roll out heavy to VW events all over the country!

We Floridian New Beetle folks are very dedicated and can't wait for you to get down here and join us. Where are you headed to? Chances are there will be some of us fairly close by.

Being up in Pa, you really should try and make TOD! You will have a blast and meet a ton of NB folks. Some of the best people you will EVER meet.

Welcome and have fun.

Chuckie

·
BEAR
109 Posts
Welcome, I am a retired master ASM and former wrench turner myself. I will help with the tech articles where I can. I have been thinking about buying a used motor to do a bench rebuild just for the experience as all my garage time was spent with Toyota (20 years or so). There are some interesting things that can be done but not a ton of tech info out there. The 1.8 Turbo in my 04 is an awesome motor that does everything I want it to. The auto trans is another matter entirely :( anyway, glad to have you with us!

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Welcome to the Org from a fellow PA'r (Philly side though).

You've found a great group of people who all just happen to like a similar car design. ;-)

As mentioned above TOD (Tail of the Dragon) event is approaching fast, but is an absolute blast to attend. Especially if you like some seat time on some amazing roads throughout the mountains.

Look for the various threads in the Events section.

Otherwise look forward to some fresh How-to's hitting the boards!

TechnoTrix'd :wave3:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts