NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our first Beetle for $1495 in 1959 and it was our first car with a personality. There was a waiting list to buy a VW then. :) It was my friend until 1967 when the last guy to change the oil left the plug loose, oil lost and car stopped - in a snow storm in New York City. :( Instead of replacing the engine we bought a 1967 Beetle that had no personality. Adding many assorted daisies all over didn’t help. We sold it on moving to Florida. We had now purchased a used red 2003 Beetle named Big Red.:)

Now at 67000 miles, one problem: The oil warning light flashes especially when going over a speed bump, lasts about 30 seconds and then stops. This just started few days ago. Oil just changed, filter OK. Seems like a sensor problem but cannot locate wires to unit. Would rather not return to dealership and pay $90 to diagnose and another $150 to fix. :confused:Am 78 and have no mechanical ability but blessed with neighbor who has it in great measure.

Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
14,786 Posts
Do you know if the timing belt and water pump have been replaced? Even with the relatively low miles, they may be 10 years old......Be careful with flashing oil lights....they mean business! :eek:

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,855 Posts
welcome to the org. Jacksonville checking in... glad to have you aboard buddy. where in Florida do you live?

I never had a flashing oil light with my bug , but I'm sure someone will chime in to assist you.

it wouldn't hurt to do a search on a flashing oil light. you might get some results to help you out.

and I too agree with Deb. with the years on your car, it might be best to get your timing belt and water pump changed.

welcome again to the org family.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Where?

Where in Florida are you? There are a great many Florida New Beetles represented on the org and someone may be able to steer you towards a competent and affordable VW mechanic near you.

Welcome to the org. Nice to see another Floridian with a Beetle!

Chuckie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts