NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've recently purchased a gently used 1999 nb with 126,000k. It seems to be running great, however, the ac/heater blower knob seems to not be working any longer. There is no heat being blown out at all. I am trying to find info on how to get into the dash because I've been reading the posts on here and they all seem to be the plastic piece behind the knob itself! Any info is greatly appreciated.

:)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I CAN Welcome you to the Org! :wave2:

No heat....big problem this time of the year. :(

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hello,

I've recently purchased a gently used 1999 nb with 126,000k. It seems to be running great, however, the ac/heater blower knob seems to not be working any longer. There is no heat being blown out at all. I am trying to find info on how to get into the dash because I've been reading the posts on here and they all seem to be the plastic piece behind the knob itself! Any info is greatly appreciated.

:)
Don't go away, I have the info you need posted in a thread, just need to find it. However, without a little more information it's hard to begin to diagnose the problem. What makes you think it is the conrtol?

Accessing the back of the control assembly is covered in this thread -
HVAC Controls R&R, Center Air Console R&R, HVAC Cables Adjustment, Radio R&R
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/53093-cooling-fan-replacement.html#post764718

Heater air blower issues and diagnostics are discussed in depth in these threads (always seems to surface this time of year, go figure! lol)
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/53332-need-heater-fan-relay-help.html?highlight=air+blower
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/53093-cooling-fan-replacement.html?highlight=air+blower
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/53086-need-some-help-girls-beetle.html?highlight=air+blower

Have a read and then come back, post up what you've learned that might be applicable and we can all discuss this further.

On a lighter note,

Welcome to the Org!

A little something I put together for all the Newbies
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

And if you need an Owner's Manual -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/53283-all-owners-manuals-30-shipped.html

MORAV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think this is the issue because the blower knob is turning, but it's not increasing/decreasing the fan speed. I am going to try to remove the knob at the #2 position as suggested in other threads. Also, I can't get the knob to go to #4 position. My father has also been researching this and he seems to agree that it may be the same issue.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try it out. :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Now I understand the issue a little better. There is another recent thread re just this problem, believe the OPer there jury rigged it till they could get a replacement unit, but as I remembered it required accessing the back of the unit, not pulling the control nob out. At least now you have the information it get it out.

Lots of online sources for replacements if it comes to that.

·
a guy with a car
47 Posts
I think this is the issue because the blower knob is turning, but it's not increasing/decreasing the fan speed. I am going to try to remove the knob at the #2 position as suggested in other threads. Also, I can't get the knob to go to #4 position. My father has also been researching this and he seems to agree that it may be the same issue.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try it out. :)
My NB had that problem. What fixed was replacing the blower control switch. According to the shop (independent VW shop), this part fails frequently (they keep the in stock). It is integrated with vent control (air direction) and the temperture control.

It cost me about $400 for the shop to replace.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
My NB had that problem. What fixed was replacing the blower control switch. According to the shop (independent VW shop), this part fails frequently (they keep the in stock). It is integrated with vent control (air direction) and the temperture control.

It cost me about $400 for the shop to replace.
Ouch! These can be purchased used for +/- $100, haven't priced them new, and it's about an hour job. Not a tough DIY The procedure is posted in Post #4 above.

And here is a guy on eBay that will repair yours for $59.99 + shipping, about $10 each way, Total $80, Lifetime Guarantee -

Repairs

Radio and a/c control rebuild: Seller:
eBay My World - germanaudiotech

Current rebuild page for a/c units:
VOLKSWAGEN VW BEETLE CLIMATE CONTROL A/C REPAIR SERVICE - eBay (item 400077856733 end time Jan-31-11 09:30:32 PST)

Edit: Here's a used one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140649874570&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So ended up taking dash apart. Went to various auto supply stores, none had the key for the radio. Finally found the key in the auto depot at WALMART! So shocked. Any way, ends up that the blower switch melted. Ordered new ac/heater control panel. No heat until it comes in...hope this 60 degree weather sticks around for a few days! All in all, the repair cost $200 (including the repair manual). Not too bad... Thx for the tips..

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
So ended up taking dash apart. Went to various auto supply stores, none had the key for the radio. Finally found the key in the auto depot at WALMART! So shocked. Any way, ends up that the blower switch melted. Ordered new ac/heater control panel. No heat until it comes in...hope this 60 degree weather sticks around for a few days! All in all, the repair cost $200 (including the repair manual). Not too bad... Thx for the tips..
Wish I had remembered I had the info I just posted above.

What repair manual did you need? The complete procedure is in my Post #4 above.

M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dad ended up buying the whole book. Not sure of the publisher. He bought it without me knowing. Would've totally purchased it thru you. Guess he figured it would be easier to have it...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
My dad ended up buying the whole book. Not sure of the publisher. He bought it without me knowing. Would've totally purchased it thru you. Guess he figured it would be easier to have it...
No there wasn't any book to buy from me. I posted the complete removal and reinstallation procedures in Post #4 via a link to them in another post. I just suggested that if you needed an Owner's Manual, I had them for sale, cheap. It would not have helped with this repair.

Glad you getting it repaired and will have some heat. Getting cold...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts