VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,nice to meet you :) We bought a new-to-us 2004 Beetle convertable with the 1.8L Turbo/5 speed yesterday,our first new Beetle (we have owned a few old air coolers back in the early-late 90's,a '90 Passat GL with the 2.0L DOCH/auto,and a 1983 Sport Truck,but this is our first Beetle/newer than 1990 VW). Having some issues after buying it,I'll describe...

149K miles showing

My (12 year old) son and I went to look at it,and test drove it on a variety of different roads/conditions,with a few stops and walk arounds to check everything out. We drove it about 45-50 minutes/30-35 miles. It ran,rode,and drove like a new car (much better than I would have even expected fo an 11 year old 149K mile vehicle) the entire time with no issues,and no warning lights/buzzers on.

So we bought it,and left it to come back later yesterday eve to pick it up. When we got there (aside from then having a flat tire that it didn't before,so we ran and bought a can of Fix-A-Flat to get it aired enough to limp to a station first...),it fired up as it should,but I had ran it low of fuel during the test drive (I knew this,LOL),when we pulled up close to the road to leave (on a slight uphill grade),the engine died,and after letting it drift backwards onto level ground,it still took several minutes to get it to restart (nothing wrong with the starter,LOL,it cranked and cranked and cranked--20 seconds at a time,I didn't attempt a continuous cranking). When it finally started,we limped it 1/2 mile to a station and filled it,and aired up the tire. I noted that now the EPC and Check Engine lights were staying on,and also when I removed the fuel filler cap,lots of air came hissing out (which tells me it was put-near empty,LOL!) as well.

It was a bit hard to start after fill-up as well,both warning lights have stayed on since. On the 18-20 mile drive home (bought in Abingdon,VA,live in Bristol TN,so not far--I stayed off the interstate),it ran fine if under 3,000RPM (it would "cut out" at 4,000 or above for a second),but the engine died twice when slowing to a stop at traffic lights with the clutch in (as if it would idle too low and die,but idle speed is about 900-1,000rpm). By the time we were 2-3 miles from home,other than the warning lights,it seemed to be running fine. My driveway is about a 45% angle/hill.

An hour after we got home with it,my wife got in from work,she wanted me to take her for a spin in it,it flat-out would not start. Later last night (after doing some Googling),I went out and checked the gas cap (as my son had been the one to reinstall it after fill-up),and unplugged the battery for 2 minutes. It started fine,so I walked inside to get the other vehicle's key and was going to switch their sides and back the Beetle up on a level concrete pad that's behind my driveway (between it and the proch),but the engine had died during the couple minutes that it took to walk in for the other keys,and it would not restart. Note that the Check Engine and EPC lights were still on when it started,and the coolant light had also came on. The gas cap had been on/snug,BTW.

This morning,it started fine like any car should,sat at idle for 10-15 minutes,and I switched the parking like I'd planned to last night,then turned it on & off several times. All 3 warning lights remain on,but it started each time fine.

I'm going to try to get time to run it to Auto Zone or a local VW dealer to plug into and see what codes are coming up,and reset them if needed. My thoughts are possibly air in the fuel line (from having ran it near-dry/on the hill),or maybe it picked up some junk from the bottom of the tank when I ran it near-dry (this would obviously have nothing to do with the coolant light being on now).Does anyone else think along these lines,or have other ideas?

I'll be ordering a timing belt/water pump kit next week (thanks to you guys,from having read on here that that's something that should be done when told to other noobs :) ).

Thanks in advance :) I haven't uploaded any pics of it to Photobucket as of yet,but my avatar is the pic from the dealer's online ad of the car,I'll add pics when I get time to shoot some of my own :)

·
Momentai!!!
1,092 Posts
Hello! It's nice to meet you! Also, you're local to me!!! I live in Lebanon, Va and come your way all the time. That's so awesome. We have a few other local Beetle owners.

You didn't happen to buy this particular Beetle at Variety Auto Sales did you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately,yes I did (Variety),LOL! I knew Mike from his years in Rosedale (he sold me my 3rd car back around '89 and did me right on it),he was reall ynice to deal with...the owner though,we were having words about the front tag (in TN where I'll register it,it's not a requirement,as you know,in VA it is though),he was pretty rude/hateful about it and said "well you're not driving it off the lot without either I drill straight into the bumper to bolt it on or drill mounting holes for a front tag holder,your choice!"....my son actually told me "daddy,I thought you were gonna hit him at one point over those holes he wanted to drill...." :p We won't be back because of his attitude,regardless of what happens with the Beetle.

I know Lebanon well,my friend-born and raised in Mavisdale (VA),over close to Grundy (the wife's from there),had a house fire back in '11 (no one was home,thankfully,but total loss) and moved out this way because we were always down this way anyways :p We even lived in Rosedale for a year a few years back,small world,eh? Nice to meet you,neighbor :) I'm Steve too,BTW :p

Unless there's something up with the kids preventing it,after they get in from school--assuming it will start again,LOL--I'm going to run it to Auto Zone to plug it in and see what codes pop up on it.

·
Momentai!!!
1,092 Posts
Wow! What a small world! You should join the Facebook page, if you have one yourself. If you ever have some time, and wouldn't mind, shoot me an email. I would like to talk you about the Beetle. It's much easier to stay in contact that way.

[email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a link to the FB page?

Mine is "[email protected]",email me anytime,my friend :)

Took it to Auto Zone* a little while ago,it's the crankshaft positioning sensor. They have an Autolite one in stock for $108 + tax,or can order a Bocsh for $78 (funny how places always stock the more expensive options,isn't it? :p ). Tomorrow's payday,so I'll go pick one up to try to install over the weekend. Where are those things located at on the car?

*it started and ran fine all the way there (only about 4 miles),but was hard to get started again after shutting it off there,LOL!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool,thanks! Enjoyed chatting with you via email,my friend,lookign forward to chatting more :)

Sent a request to join the group on FB,I'm "Kick Buttowski" on FB,so when you/they see that request,LOL,it's me :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you :) I've been through Texas literally thousands of times (back when I drove long haul trucks),always loved your state :)

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Hope you can join us for the Tail of the Dragon gtg. It's the first weekend in May. Come hang out with us.

Sent from my Peace Love and "Six for Six" app

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,my friend! Steve has mentioned that as well (via email,I think),if it fits at all in work schedule (hers,I'm disabled ;) which means I'm a glorified house-dad :p) we'll most likely be there (assuming I get the...ahem...bugs worked out of the Beetle too,LOL) :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi fellas,thanks for the welcome :)

Update:
Changed out the CPS sensor mid day today (took less than 30 minutes,LOL)and the wife and I put about 100 miles on it all over the Tri-Cities (took her shopping...she didn't buy anything,LOL :p),ran--and more importantly,started every time--just fine all day/eve :D

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Howdy from Central NC. Some of us in the MACBG are looking to do a Beetle run up/down 421 near you if you're interested.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
And don't forget about Tail of the Dragon one of the biggest gtgs in the country. First weekend in May so put it on your calendar. We would love to have you join us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts