NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Red Devl strikes again...
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Last week my wife and I purchased a 1999 Red New Beetle GLS - our first Beetle. :D

After fixing one slight mechanical issues, such as a melted fuse box atop the battery causing the radiator fan to not work (a common problem from what I've seen posted on this forum), we're back on the road. The laundry list of things to do is a bit long, but I plan on making this our project car, fixing things as we go. Here's what needs done:

* Stop peeling clear coat and fix paint chips
* Replace cracked grill
* Foglamps aren't working
* Repaint accents on steering wheel
* Air conditioner needs a recharge
* Heated mirror knob needs replaced (part ordered)
* Gas tank lid is stuck (got an estimate)
* Need one more key fob and remote

Those are the moderate issues that I need to address. Other than that, it's a basic cleaning and polishing and maybe a few mods like painting the calipers, possibly adding a spoiler and definitely adding wind deflectors atop the windows. :)

I've not had any experience with waxing or using a clay bar so any tips and suggestions would be much appreciated. The car is a step above rough cosmetic shape on the outside and I want to bring it back to showroom new so I can show her off.

No photos for now, but I'll be sure to post some in the appropriate forum section later. I have a friend coming by to assess her repairs tonight and possibly helping me with a few (he's a Jetta owner!) I've named her El Diablo Rojo - The red devil. ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I'm glad you added that New Beetle to your family. You sound like just the person she needed! :clap:

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

Clay Bar has very clear instructions. But don't drop the bar...if you do, it's toast! :eek:

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the org:wave2:

One thing that should be on the top of the list is, the timing belt/ tensioner/ roller and water pump. Had it been done yet? If not, I'd make that priority number one.

Congrats on your beetle. Hope to see pics soon:)
I have very few photos right now. I want to get her a bath and good waxing this weekend before I do.

Her PO did get an oil change and fresh filter, new timing belt, and new brakes. I don't know about the tensioner or water pump. She has 169k miles on her and aside from the fuse box issue (fixed) and the a/c needing work, she's running like a champ so far.

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad you added that New Beetle to your family. You sound like just the person she needed! :clap:

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

Clay Bar has very clear instructions. But don't drop the bar...if you do, it's toast! :eek:
She *did* need someone to love her. The PO let a lot of cosmetic issues go for whatever reason and it's high time she's brought back to her former glory.

I plan on getting a clay bar this weekend for some much needed work on her paint. She could really shine after a proper wash, polish and wax.

I gather based on various forum posts that handwashing is the way to go. I don't always like the way the autowashes do the job. I'd rather get hands on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts