NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been a member here for 6 years but this is my first post. My name is Bob and I am in Longview, WA. My wife Mel and I recently purchased a 2012 Tornado Red Beetle. This is our second Beetle as a couple but my fifth. Beetles have been in my blood for a lot of years and have been real happy with our new one. Beetles I've owned include a '69 Beetle, '71 and '74 Super Beetles and a 2007 New Beetle that was a complete lemon.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
CONGRATS!! On your 2012 new beetle!
Sir 'lurker' no more huh? hehehe :p
GREAT to have you here as a posting member too :D

Very nice 12 you have there. Has it got a name yet?

WELCOME from Tennessee. ( don't be shy )

:clap:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CONGRATS!! On your 2012 new beetle!
Sir 'lurker' no more huh? hehehe :p
GREAT to have you here as a posting member too :D

Very nice 12 you have there. Has it got a name yet?

WELCOME from Tennessee. ( don't be shy )

:clap:
Thank you. The wife named her Ruby.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Welcome to the Org. Glad to have ya aboard. There are a good handful of Orgers out your direction. Glad you finally posted and introduced yourself! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Woohoo! Welcome to the Org, from your close neighbor! I hope we can meet up soon! :party:

I lovelovelove Tornado Red.....I'm envious. :wink2:

·
Banned
47 Posts
6 years and your first post.. i guess you are one of the oldest members of this forum..anyways welcome to the forum..i hope you have a great time out here,..and yeah nice beetle you have out there.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
more pix if you please...

Can you post some interior pix of RUBY? She is BEAUTIFUL!!!

thx
:p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you post some interior pix of RUBY? She is BEAUTIFUL!!!

thx
Yeah, this weekend I think we'll take her out and get some proper photos that weren't taken with a 3 mp cell phone. I'm make sure that we get some interior shots as well.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Thx!!
We will ALL be eagerly waiting for Ruby's PREMIER :balloons::nblove::balloons: PICTORIAL .

:wave:

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
Welcome to the site; congratulations on your new beetle! :) If you have some time; I would like to hear about your 2007 lemon! :) There are people coming on this site; that are buying the 2005 and newer beetles and keep asking about the potential problems of these cars have. I'm assuming that you had a 2.5 L engine; I would like to hear any and all problems you had with the car; hopefully this information can be useful for others considering buying these older beetles. The conventional wisdom has been put forth; that the 2005 and later beetles were better, had less problems than the earlier ones (1998-2004). I would like to hear an opposing view and whatever issues that you had with the car. Any info would be appreciated! :) Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Welcome to the site; congratulations on your new beetle! :) If you have some time; I would like to hear about your 2007 lemon! :) There are people coming on this site; that are buying the 2005 and newer beetles and keep asking about the potential problems of these cars have. I'm assuming that you had a 2.5 L engine; I would like to hear any and all problems you had with the car; hopefully this information can be useful for others considering buying these older beetles. The conventional wisdom has been put forth; that the 2005 and later beetles were better, had less problems than the earlier ones (1998-2004). I would like to hear an opposing view and whatever issues that you had with the car. Any info would be appreciated! :) Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The 2007 was a 2.5L. Our dream car when we bought it. It had 48k miles, Package 2, sunroof, Monsoon stereo, loaded with options etc. The main problem was every time we made right hand turns going over 15mph we would get a real nasty vibration in the front end. Our first thought was bearings but that wasn't it. It went and had diagnostics at 2 shops before the problem was found to be the axel and ball joints. At 48k miles it was going on it's third axel. Something was out of spec under the hood causing them to go out. Hated to get rid of it but we had no choice. Luckily the dealer we bought it from let us return it and they tore up the contract 8 days after we purchased it. The extended warranty from Cornerstone would not cover the $1500 repair bill. If anyone ever comes across this car the VIN # is 3VWSW31C77M500131. It was a beautiful car but I would find the axel issue to be very suspect.

2007 VOLKSWAGEN NEW BEETLE 2.5L PKG2
VIN: 3VWSW31C77M500131

The carfax did not show the issues even though it had been worked on several times for this issue.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2007 VOLKSWAGEN NEW BEETLE 2.5L PKG2

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Daisy's Mae's Mom
171 Posts
Oh wow I hate to hear that your 2007 didn't work out. I am glad it didn't keep you away from Beetles though! I've also had four of them! My first one was a 76, then a 73, 71 and now a 2006 NBC. I've always been a Bug lover but never owned a vert and this little gem is perfect. What surprised me more than anything was that this car is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned! We also currently own a 10 Buick Lacrosse and it's more comfortable than that! It's just amazing!

Well, I'm glad you realize that you just somehow bought a 'lemon' and that most VW Beetles aren't bad ones! I can't wait to see the inside of Miss Ruby! She's a looker for sure!;)

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Have also had a few Beetles and other dubs in my past

Hi there Bob! I am one of the 'Old Guys' on here and am located in Tumwater, but have some very close friends in your area who now drive a new Scion I.Q. I too have had a number of Beetles in the past, our first being a new black 1968 (this REALLY Dates me), followed by a '67 Squareback w/dual carbs, then a '71 squareback, then an '72 superbeetle which turned out to be an expensive dog and $$ pit, then a '99 N.B. 2.0, and finally this '03 Turbo S which I love so much that I'll probably never get rid of. Hey, happy beetlin' and car buggin'! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi there Bob! I, too, and am Old Guy and am located in Tumwater, but we have some very close friends in your area who now drive a new Scion I.Q. I too have had a number of Beetles in the past, our first being a new black 1968 (this REALLY Dates me), followed by a '67 Squareback w/dual carbs, then a '71 squareback, then an '72 superbeetle which turned out to be an expensive dog and $$ pit, then a '99 N.B. 2.0, and finally this '03 Turbo S which I love so much that I'll probably never get rid of. Hey, happy beetlin' and car buggin'! :)
It's nice to see some locals on here. Maybe our paths will cross someday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few new photos. Hopefully theses will be the last before we get some new wheels and tires.

Interior

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
GREAT PIX!! It's still so hard for me to get used to those steering wheels NOT being completely round :confused:
You have a BEAUTIFUL NEW BEETLE,
Thx for posting pix

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GREAT PIX!! It's still so hard for me to get used to those steering wheels NOT being completely round :confused:
You have a BEAUTIFUL NEW BEETLE,
Thx for posting pix

I don't know the reasoning behind the steering wheel.... :confused:
But it works great and don't even notice it when driving. But to be honest I wasn't to hip on this design until recently. It really took some time to get used to and even fall in love with the new curves of this car. In some ways it's more reminiscent of the older beetles but just as reminiscent as a 911. Once I got behind the wheel all bets were off.

If anything this should be a Ferdinand Porsche tribute car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts