NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NB owner here in Fort Worth. I recently purchased an '03 Beetle 1.8 turbo automatic for my 18 year old daughter as her first car, this a nice car and we love it ”so far”. Perfect size for her and it is really fun to drive! It has a few minor issues needed and I will be addressing them soon. From my past experiences of any vehicle you can definitely find all the negatives on the world wide web! I sure hope it turns out good :)

Do any of you recommend a quality VW mechanic in the Dallas, Fort Worth area or any to steer clear of?

1. I am doing an oil change this weekend as it is black and I have no idea when it was done last. Castrol 5/40 is what I read to use. Has anyone used a motor flush type fluid since these are suspect to sludge or just leave it as is? Seafoam maybe?
2. The bug has a new air compressor and hoses and a serpentine belt but the auxiliary fan sometimes squeals when turning on the AC. I found a replacement on Ebay and ordered it last night.
3. The upper radiator hose is leaking at the connections so I will order a new hose (10 years old) and clamps from germanauto parts online with the special G12 fluid soon.
4. Air bag light is on the dash. I looked at the belt harnesses on both front seats and the connectors are in-tact and the harness look good. Now what?
5. Need to adjust the rear hatch so that you can get it open when using the door button, it doesn’t pop up far enough by the time you get back there.
6. It is missing the center belly splash pan for the motor do any of you know where to find one or a part number?
7. The door check bolt on the left door is broken and the metal bar is pushed in. Seems easy enough but need to find a new bolt or part number to order it.

Is there any way to tell if the timing belt has been done? The vehicle has 137,000 miles on it. Do any of you have recommendations or thoughts to help out a proud new owner?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
Hopefully the timing belt and water pump have already been replaced. That would be the Number ONE concern for me. :eek:

The VW automatic is notoriously problematic. Get it inspected too.

But, it sounds like you found one in pretty good shape for a
10yo. Congrats! :)

Welcome to the Org! :wave2:

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to our world. Sounds like you have lived around the site long enough to have a pretty good grasp of the needs of your daughters car. I would recommend doing the timing belt and water pump soon. Unless you have records showing when it was done last it isn't worth the risk. Again Welcome!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All! Wouldn't you know my luck... I just did the title transfer today and as I pulled in the driveway, the CEL came on. Oh well. I will have our local parts supply read the code for me tonight and I am ordering a VAG405 right now to have on hand for future reference.

Yes I think I will do the TB and WP soon just for safety sake. How much are those parts if I do it myself? vs a local mechanic shop rate? I figure if I purchase the bently service manual, I could tackle just about anything. I aint scared.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
WELCOME FROM TENNESSEE :D

Yes, if you can't verify the last timing belt/water pump change PLAY IT SAFE and change them. Go with the METAL impeller blade type water pump.

Take a look at this company they sell a combo new beetle kit:

Vw Timing Belt - Vw Timing Belt Kit - 4 Cylinder

Glad us found us here at the ORG!

:yaya:

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Welcome to the Org. Dont forget to post some pics and fill out your profile!!! BTW, I would like to extend an invite to our midwest get together. We will be getting together in Oklahoma to drive the Talimena Scenic Drive. Links to the discussion thread are in my signature!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts