NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Melissa, I am a new driver, for my first car i really want a new beetle, i'm looking at a 1999 that needs a few things done as of paint and the front bumper. but i am VARY VARY worried, everyone i talk to says that if i got into an accident going over 10mph in my dream car id die, i am already scared to death to wreck, but that just pushes it over the edge, so i came on here to ask actual owners, how safe is this car if i got into an accident?, i love this car but i don't want to die for it. id love any help you can give me, I've loved these cars sense i was a little girl. thanks a bunch Melissa<3

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
These are pretty safe cars. Front and side airbags. My parents were really sold on getting me my '99 over 6 years ago when they went to a dealer and saw a 'vert that had been rolled. All 4 people in the car walked away with just bumps and bruises. I trust this car entirely.

What mileage and transmission on the car? Any maintenance history? Whats up with the bumper?

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its an automatic but has 1 2 and 3rd to, the bumper the bottom bar under the fog lights is broken someone backed into it, it just got the motor serviced, as far as i know its been well maintained, it has 150k miles on it although

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you both so much, i am existed about getting one again, i'm already looking at what i want to add here and there, the liner in the roof and door is coming off anyways so i'm going to make it all me lol, ill get pics of her later and post them, were going to submit the paper work, i cant wait:D

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Hi Melissa:wave2:

Welcome to the org family- glad to have you a part of the collective:)

Like everyone said, the beetle is a very safe car.

Being that this is your first car, are you pretty sure you're getting into a beetle that's gonna give you years of enjoyment, with as few repairs to deal with? The cosmetic things can be dealt with easy enough- just hoping that your beetle is a well maintained one.

I know you're very excited, as were most of us before buying ours, but take your time and make sure you're getting a good deal, as well as avoiding a money pit. There's a lot of great beetles out there. BTW, someone just posted a white beetle for sale, right here on the org... a 98 with extremely low miles on it. The timing belt doesn't have a lot of miles on it- more years than miles. It's in Ohio, but I think it's worth looking into.

At any rate, we're very excited for you and hope you keep posting, especially pics when you get your beetle. We're a good bunch of folk who love our bugs, as well as getting together. Matter of fact, we just wrapped up our 3rd annual Tail Of The Dragon get together (GtG) this past May. Maybe you and your family can join us next year:)

Don't be a strange- keep posting. and again, welcome aboard:)

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, i am looking for an auto though, and hopefully a little closer to home lol, i can drive either but i would rather have an auto so that i don't have to worry about changing gears for now.:p

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Just food for thought...the manual transmissions are a lot more robust than the automatics. And cheaper to maintain, etc. I would keep your options open.

·
Kaylee Bug
366 Posts
You may want to look into manual transmissions. I have heard nothing but bad things about the automatic/triptronic tranny.

thanks, i am looking for an auto though, and hopefully a little closer to home lol, i can drive either but i would rather have an auto so that i don't have to worry about changing gears for now.:p

·
Lost My Ever Lovin Mind
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if it were just me driving it, i would probably try a manual, sense i can drive them i'm just rusty at it, but my mom will be driving the car to and she wont drive a manual. if i ever have to use my parents truck to take my horses some were ect, i have to have a car available for my mom:(, so i don't really have that option unless i get one then later get a different one after my mom gets something else if she decides to get her own car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts