VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2005 Beetle with 6 speed tip tronic tranny , 156,000 km, air, leather,heated seats, gas.
Drives ,feels good ....what do I need to look for on this unit ?

Guessing it will need a timing belt
Have read on here transmission problems ? Is this common ? Any other issues ?

Price is $5000 Canadian.

Thanks Guy's

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
The price sounds high to me; if you are serious about purchasing a car, I would take it to a independent shop that specializes in Volkswagens and have them do a pre purchase inspection. This way, you do not end up with a car; that has a bunch of problems, you didn't know about. Let us know; where you live and maybe, we can pont you in the direction of some repair shops.

As for looking for a good new beetle; in the USA, it is a buyers market and there are, as the saying goes... "lots of fish in the sea", so keep your eyes open and don't get stuck on the first one you see! Be picky and get one in good shape; have a pro check it out, BEFORE purchasing it. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

London Ontario Canada

It is in very good shape ..no rust which is amazing in the rust belt ...I would say from th Kms and lack of rust never winter driven.

just not ure of the transmission problems that I read about ...is it 90% have issues or more like 20%.

thanks for any more advice

·
Yellow Ducky
98 Posts
Transmission problems?

Hello, I don't come on often since I have trouble logging in with my password, but wen I had to miss the Roswell VW meet in 2015 due to the VW Dealer saying I had a transmission problem and it would cost 5k, or something like that. Turns out just to be the Mass Airflow sensor.
Either way, look at the Boot Axels, oil pan, and undercarriage for anything that doesn't look right.

P.S. What do I know, except I try to fix my own car and don't like to trust the Dealer/ Mechanics much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A man after my own heart ..always have done my own work .

Currently have a 2001 PT Cruiser with 350,000 kms on it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts