NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks! I just wanted to stop in and say hello. I am new to this forum, but not VW's, although this will be my first watercooled. Last spring I sold my 65' Beetle, much to my son's dismay. Since he will be soon driving, I have been on the lookout for a "newish-oldish" Bug as he has described them. After scouring craigslist for the past couple months, we found a divorce / "I don't want to mess with it anymore" Beetle for a couple hundred bucks, I figured if anything it would be a good project for us. We loaded up Saturday morning, drove a couple hours to take a look at it, and wound up with an 01' GLX turbo with 130k miles. The story is it was running, even had a recent rebuild on the engine, and then hit a deer. It's since been sitting since the fall, and was completely dead. I figured for the price we didn't really have too much to lose, so we loaded it up on a car dolly and took her home! The first order of business was to empty the garbage can on wheels, and push it on in to the garage. The seller said they tried to jump it, but it wouldn't even turn over, so i went and borrowed a charger and let it sit for awhile. After checking the fluids (almost no oil!) we cranked it, and she fired up! It's definitely not running right, but it moves under it's own power, which is a pretty good place to start. We got it out yesterday, and took it around the block a couple times, and found that it appears to have some crankcase pressure, as it's pushing the dipstick out. It's seems to be running on all cylinders though, so we'll start checking out some of the basics. Anyway, long story short, it's fun to be back in the VW family, with a car we've always wanted to own. Hopefully tonight we'll have a chance to mess with it more, and see what she needs!
Thanks!
[/url]IMG_1152 by Curtis, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
14,774 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the watercooled side! :party:

Thank you for adopting this poor New Beetle. I just know you will get it back on the road! :heart:

I recommend starting a thread in the Photo area, and adding this, and all new pictures to it - your very own photo album, all your pics in one place.

Please update often! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts