NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Beware-Blonde with Beetle
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Leslie and I've been silently reading through this site for a few weeks. I'm soon to be a proud owner of a 2010 Final Edition Coupe, number 1415. I'm very excited to be getting a Beetle. :D I learned to drive a manual transmission on a 1967 blue Beetle that belonged to my Father-in-Law. That car was my FIL's pride and joy, and when he passed away in 2000 after a short battle with colon cancer his car was sold. I remember standing in the driveway of my Mother-In-Law's house crying with the whole family as the car was driven away - that car meant everything to him. :(

Since then, my Sister-in-Law has a silver NB 'vert, and her daughter (my niece) has a red NB - we are a bunch of Beetle-loving people!

I currently drive a 2005 Jaguar X-Type, VDP edition. I'll be selling it after I get my NB registered and insured. People with whom I work think I'm nuts to go from a Jaguar to a NB, but I think they are nuts to not see how much better a NB is! Some people just don't get it. :p

I live in the beautiful state of Tennessee-Knoxville to be exact. I have everything here from awesome college sports (Go Vols!) to the gorgeous Smokey Mountains!

I have enjoyed seeing everyone's pictures and can't wait until I can post some of my own. I've already picked a name for my NB - she will be Jolene. :)

Glad to be here. :clap:

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Welcome to the Org! I love your story. :party:

So wonderful to have you here with us, at the nut house we call "The Org". :D

We'll be looking for pics, as soon as you have them. :clap:

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Welcome to the org! I like your story too :)

Oh boy, that last edition New Beetle is just so nice; I´m looking forward to see some pics of it later... ;)

:flipper:

Greetings from Finland.

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the welcome. I believe I have a picture of my father-in-law's Beetle (with my older son sitting in it/on it, when he was much younger). If I can find it I'll scan it in to share.

Just got word that I may be able to pick up my NB on Thanksgiving, if the Credit Unions (current owner's & mine) can work things out tomorrow. Since the current owner has a loan on the Beetle, and I'm taking one to purchase it, I've got just a few hoops to jump through. But it'll be worth it. :D

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Hi Leslie:banana:

Welcome to your new home:wave2: Glad to have you a part of the org family.

Great and touching story. Congrats on your FE nB! WOOT!!! Hope to see pics of your new baby soon.

Being that you're a Tennessean, I'm sure you're familiar with the Tail of the Dragon- US 129. Anyhoo, we have an annual get together every May... first Saturday to be exact. I hope you, yours and your new beetle can be a part of it. click here for the link.

Welcome to the org. And happy thanksgiving to you and your family:)

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Hi Leslie:banana:

Welcome to your new home:wave2:

Being that you're a Tennessean, I'm sure you're familiar with the Tail of the Dragon- US 129. Anyhoo, we have an annual get together every May... first Saturday to be exact. I hope you, yours and your new beetle can be a part of it. click here for the link.

Welcome to the org. And happy thanksgiving to you and your family:)
Yup. I second what he said...... Bring the whole family fleet.
We would love to see ya. And I'd love to add some more names to the list.

·
Momentai!!!
1,092 Posts
Hello! Good to meet you! I'm in Knoxville every once in a while. I actually live in southwest Virginia. Only about two hours away. While I don't have a NB anymore I'm still very active and have a GTI that has been dubbed "honorary New Beetle." lol. Another orger, Fuzzy, is VERY close to you! Both of us went to ToD 2011 and will be there next May too! Congrats on Final Edition. 1415... Nice number!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all the welcomes everyone! :)

scarabY2k & 2004NBTURBOS I did see the details for the Tail of the Dragon GTG in May 2012 (I think it's May). In all seriousness I will talk to my hubby and see if he wants to take a weekend to hang with some other NB fans. My kids would LOVE it, but not sure if they are each ready for the many bruises they are sure to have after 'punching' each other the entire weekend. :) I am extremely familiar with the area but I have never driven the Dragon. I've been sort of scared to because I've heard some of the cyclists can be a little crazy. :rolleyes: But it sounds like y'all have a blast. I appreciate the invite and I'll zip over to that thread to read more.

Steve_pnchbug Very cool that you are so close and are in the area sometimes. I'm rather partial to Knoxville (and Sevierville) because I think it's such a beautiful place (with ah-mazing people ;) ) It is a small world, no? If we go to the GTG this year maybe I'll see you there. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Iknow if I was anywhere near the TOD, I'd be there in a heartbeat. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I appreciate all the welcomes everyone! :)

scarabY2k & 2004NBTURBOS I did see the details for the Tail of the Dragon GTG in May 2012 (I think it's May). In all seriousness I will talk to my hubby and see if he wants to take a weekend to hang with some other NB fans. My kids would LOVE it, but not sure if they are each ready for the many bruises they are sure to have after 'punching' each other the entire weekend. :) I am extremely familiar with the area but I have never driven the Dragon. I've been sort of scared to because I've heard some of the cyclists can be a little crazy. :rolleyes: But it sounds like y'all have a blast. I appreciate the invite and I'll zip over to that thread to read more.
AWESOME!
We'd love to meet you and your lovely family at ToD.
All of the ToD horror stories are due to biker/driver carelessness. Our driving on The Dragon is compliant with all local posted speed limits. We value each and every member, as well as their beetles. We will never jeopardize the safety of our beloved new beetles and those who love them. Plus, we have 2 driving groups for ToD: sport, for those who drive the speed limit on the dragon and leisure, for those who want to back down from the speed limit and take things more leisurely. Furthermore, beetles are drivers just as much as the cyclists and we won't risk wrecking our beetles (pulling over) so others can pass us, just to drive recklessly. Safety is priority number one.

With that being said, We hope you'll join us. The area you live in is truly God's country; having a GtG there is an experience like none other.

Oh, and have hubby peek his head in and say Hi to us. Give Him our regards:)

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, and have hubby peek his head in and say Hi to us. Give Him our regards:)
I sure will! :) Thanks for the info on the Dragon. I would love to drive it my first time with a big ol' line of other Beetles. :banana:

So it's confirmed - I will take possession of Jolene tomorrow at 12:00'ish. I'm so excited! I went to a local auto-supply store and got all kinds of cleaning supplies including a clay kit(not like I don't have supplies already, but I want new for Jolene ;) ). Here's a pic of the supplies I got today:

supplies.JPG

I am scheduled to be off from work December 1 and 2 - and I can see some SERIOUS car cleaning in my future. :p

Hope I can sleep tonight - I am so excited. Heck even hubby is excited (he loves the NB's - the 2012 model hasn't quite grabbed him yet but I think they are nice). I told hubby my NB is going to look funny in our garage next to his vehicle (a 2007 Hummer H2 SUT). LOL!

Pictures of Jolene will be forthcoming. :clap:

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Welcome!! I have family in Knoxville that I go to visit! Beautiful place! The NB will be a great item for you...Great story! My wife's father had a Beetle, and now she has one. lol...

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Iknow if I was anywhere near the TOD, I'd be there in a heartbeat. :bigthumb:
Too bad your NB doesn't have wings (and a jet engine, but that's just minor details)..... :D

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome!! I have family in Knoxville that I go to visit! Beautiful place! The NB will be a great item for you...Great story! My wife's father had a Beetle, and now she has one. lol...
Hey, small world! Do you come and visit often? How cool about your wife's father having a Beetle and now she has one....kinda like my situation. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I sure will! :) Thanks for the info on the Dragon. I would love to drive it my first time with a big ol' line of other Beetles. :banana:

So it's confirmed - I will take possession of Jolene tomorrow at 12:00'ish. I'm so excited! I went to a local auto-supply store and got all kinds of cleaning supplies including a clay kit(not like I don't have supplies already, but I want new for Jolene ;) ). Here's a pic of the supplies I got today:

View attachment 89102

I am scheduled to be off from work December 1 and 2 - and I can see some SERIOUS car cleaning in my future. :p

Hope I can sleep tonight - I am so excited. Heck even hubby is excited (he loves the NB's - the 2012 model hasn't quite grabbed him yet but I think they are nice). I told hubby my NB is going to look funny in our garage next to his vehicle (a 2007 Hummer H2 SUT). LOL!

Pictures of Jolene will be forthcoming. :clap:
I have the exact same clay kit. They are simply amazing. Please post some pictures once it's done ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts