NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all from Oregon :)

After lurking on here for a few weeks researching overheating issues I have finally decided to join. I am the proud owner of a 2002 NB GLS. Honestly I'm more of a Mustang girl but my little bug has definitely won me over. She is so much fun to drive and the gas mileage is nice too.

The only issue I've had with her is overheating which a new thermostat, water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioner, and fuse box fixed. Just from what I read here it was way past time for that stuff to be replaced considering she's got almost 107k on her.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

After lurking on here for a few weeks researching overheating issues I have finally decided to join. I am the proud owner of a 2002 NB GLS. Honestly I'm more of a Mustang girl but my little bug has definitely won me over. She is so much fun to drive and the gas mileage is nice too.

The only issue I've had with her is overheating which a new thermostat, water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioner, and fuse box fixed. Just from what I read here it was way past time for that stuff to be replaced considering she's got almost 107k on her.
Hi WendyLady,

Welcome to the ORG. Glad you have joined us. Yes, if the timing belt service has never been done than you are very lucky that it didn't break. 107k is way overdue for the first time. But you dodged the bullit and your Beetle is happy again. :D
Another thing you may want to do if you haven't done so already is switch out your Coolant Temp Sensor. The old units are known to fail and cause all sorts of issues. It's an easy and cheap fix and can be done in about 5 Minutes.

Post some pics of your car when you get a chance!

Once again Welcome and don't be a stranger ;)

http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--1.8T/Search/Coolant_Sensor/ES2535452/

·
Premium Member
665 Posts

As an ex-Washingtonian welcome my Northwest friend. Volkswagen used to have a training school in Hillsboro, just west of Portland. They have since moved it to Renton.

The volkswagen cooling systems are closed loop, meaning they can get air trapped in them. Depending on how long ago the work was done this may be the problem. Definitely take care of that sensor as mentioned above.

Bme

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
Welcome to the Org, fellow PNW Gal! :party:

I hope we can meet sometime, and schmooze over our New Beetles!

Oh, and We Love Pics! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts