NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and also a new beetle owner. I have a 2001 2.0 5 speed with 171,000 plus miles. Evidently the previous owners did not do a good job of maintaining this car, but after about $1500 we are about half way to getting it back in shape. I am having an issue with the fuel gauge working correctly. I never know when I start my car whether it will show a fuel level or not. Right now I go strictly by the mileage travelled to keep up with when I need to purchase gas. Would this be a fuel pump issue or a fuel sending unit issue? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated as we are on a learning quest. We have learned quite a bit about Volkswagen's in the last 5 months. I love my beetle and want to get all the "bugs" (no pun intended) worked out.

63ladybug

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Welcome to the Org, from frigid Minnesota. Please be sure to fill in your profile so we know where you are. This can help us guide you to a trusted mechanic, invite you to a get together, or offer assistance with your car!

To the issue:
Your fuel gauge issue may be related to the sending unit. It is attatched to the fuel pump. I can say that the pump is not to hard to remove as I just did this on Monday! Not sure about the sending unit, but the whole pump can be found at a junkyard for <$50!
There are plenty of people here that are way more knowledgeable than I, and I am sure they will chime in or guide you to the correct thread with an answer!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

As for the fuel gauge issue I'd guess the sending unit too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts