VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I'm Kelley. My husband just recently bought me a New Beetle for my birthday. I'm so super happy and excited and NERVOUS!

I've named her Simone. She's a 2001 Silver GL, and she's amazingly clean and just wonderful! She only has 124k miles. So far. I plan to add more! There are a few quirks but nothing big. A couple minor dings that I didn't even notice and still really don't. She has a couple scratches, and her bumpers are fairly blemished but no real damage. Her headliner sags a bit around the little sunglasses holder above the review. Her directionals for her air vents are snapped off. There are small chips on her hood, a couple that are tiny specks of rust, but really she's in beautiful shape. I've cleaned her up and tended to all her little spots in order to protect her. One of the most amusing things for me, is she has manual windows.

I've been familiarizing myself with the site and rolling around ideas in my head for her. I am loving this site so far. I have already yanked out the common interior pieces and painted them. I had a new stereo installed already, a cassette player wasn't gonna do it for me. I intend to yank out her dash and paint that too but I plan to do it sort of opposite than how everyone else seems to. I want to mimic the bugdash (not paying $100 for some flimsy plastic and with the mentions I've seen on here, glad I'm unwilling to!). I'm gonna paint the right and left side and then leave the middle console part black. Tho I will likely actually paint it black since it's rubber coating is a little scratched. Nothing I couldn't buff off, but... I've pretty much removed that nasty coating on everything else save for the inner part of the door handle. I already painted the part that snaps off. I also am considering plasti-dipping her bumpers (just the lower bumpers not the whole wheel and fender area), the hood, top, and trunk. I figure it would cover the blemishes on her bumpers, as well as help protect her hood. I might do her door handles too since I noticed it looks like the stereo guy scratched the driver side one. I need to get her new hubcaps too, or rims, but they are soooo expensive!

The biggest thing I've had to adjust to so far is that she's a standard. I get really nervous when I drive her, mostly when I am shifting. I've driven one before. My first car was a standard, but it's been almost 15 years since then. I've forgotten the little things. Like.... stop signs, red lights, what if I want drive thru?! I don't know if I am supposed to downshift into first (or second? or?), drop into neutral and then go back into first (or second? or?), or just stay in whatever gear I am in. I know she hates it when I am in anything above third and I slow down or attempt to drive after a stop sign. And I have yet to find my balance in clutch and gas - especially in first gear! That one is the hardest for me. The others I can do fairly smooth. I'm adjusting to her slowly. I've only stalled 3 times so far. And forgotten to go into neutral twice before turning her off!

I'd appreciate ANY tips I could get for driving her!!

I do have a bunch of more questions and stuff, but I plan to stick those in the other forum where they belong. And, this post is long enough!

Thanks for reading if you managed to stick it out!
- Kelley

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Welcome aboard and howdy. Don't worry about the shifting, you'll get used to it the more you drive. You may find later on that you come to prefer the control you have with a manual.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Hi Everyone! I'm Kelley. My husband just recently bought me a New Beetle for my birthday. I'm so super happy and excited and NERVOUS!

I've named her Simone. She's a 2001 Silver GL, and she's amazingly clean and just wonderful! She only has 124k miles. So far. I plan to add more! There are a few quirks but nothing big. A couple minor dings that I didn't even notice and still really don't. She has a couple scratches, and her bumpers are fairly blemished but no real damage. Her headliner sags a bit around the little sunglasses holder above the review. Her directionals for her air vents are snapped off. There are small chips on her hood, a couple that are tiny specks of rust, but really she's in beautiful shape. I've cleaned her up and tended to all her little spots in order to protect her. One of the most amusing things for me, is she has manual windows.

I've been familiarizing myself with the site and rolling around ideas in my head for her. I am loving this site so far. I have already yanked out the common interior pieces and painted them. I had a new stereo installed already, a cassette player wasn't gonna do it for me. I intend to yank out her dash and paint that too but I plan to do it sort of opposite than how everyone else seems to. I want to mimic the bugdash (not paying $100 for some flimsy plastic and with the mentions I've seen on here, glad I'm unwilling to!). I'm gonna paint the right and left side and then leave the middle console part black. Tho I will likely actually paint it black since it's rubber coating is a little scratched. Nothing I couldn't buff off, but... I've pretty much removed that nasty coating on everything else save for the inner part of the door handle. I already painted the part that snaps off. I also am considering plasti-dipping her bumpers (just the lower bumpers not the whole wheel and fender area), the hood, top, and trunk. I figure it would cover the blemishes on her bumpers, as well as help protect her hood. I might do her door handles too since I noticed it looks like the stereo guy scratched the driver side one. I need to get her new hubcaps too, or rims, but they are soooo expensive!

The biggest thing I've had to adjust to so far is that she's a standard. I get really nervous when I drive her, mostly when I am shifting. I've driven one before. My first car was a standard, but it's been almost 15 years since then. I've forgotten the little things. Like.... stop signs, red lights, what if I want drive thru?! I don't know if I am supposed to downshift into first (or second? or?), drop into neutral and then go back into first (or second? or?), or just stay in whatever gear I am in. I know she hates it when I am in anything above third and I slow down or attempt to drive after a stop sign. And I have yet to find my balance in clutch and gas - especially in first gear! That one is the hardest for me. The others I can do fairly smooth. I'm adjusting to her slowly. I've only stalled 3 times so far. And forgotten to go into neutral twice before turning her off!

I'd appreciate ANY tips I could get for driving her!!

I do have a bunch of more questions and stuff, but I plan to stick those in the other forum where they belong. And, this post is long enough!

Thanks for reading if you managed to stick it out!
- Kelley

The rubber gunko is a well known issue for these cars.

Do NOT forget about the pleasures of your local Pick and Pull yards for all sorts of neato trim pieces and other misc do-dads.

Sorry to hear the radio won't 'do it' for you. We got lucky with our local pick'n pull yard and found a trunk mount CD player-Factory!! Sense the harness is already buried into the truck/hatch--It was simple to plug it in and bolt it down (we saved the hardware from the yard for that purpose) The factory radio (at least ours) is made by Clarion and sounds Awesome!)

The only sticking point was that our prior owner smacked the crap out of the radios controls on the right side. I posted a few photos of the damage. After nipping up a cheap radio from the pick'n pull yard--I swapped the front control panel assy and it works just like new.

Only issue I've had with ours? And it's my own fault. I sometimes forget to push the clutch in when coming to a stop. (I've done that twice.....and got a harsh reminder each time) Thankfully these standards are built fairly well. Just need to still track down the fluid for it. (another story....VW uses some really proprietary fluids--Like the coolant has to be G13/G12. Expensive. The green 'universal' type won't cut it in these engines..and they use a very unique power steering fluid...)

Good luck with it! Let us know if you need any help!

S-

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts