VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is 1998 beetle 2.0 stick shift, I took to get codes read, had all 4 missfire, po440,po116,po300, nd po301-302-303-304. since I put new plugs[one was broke others BAD] ,new wires and coil pack, when I changed the OLD fuel filter it rattled bad[came apart inside] and dumped it and ALOT black crap came out? SO, new filter and will try to start then nothing, I took fuel line off and sprayed all over good preasure, it will run on startting fluid, my thought [tell me if I am wroung] is since fuel filter came apart is there a good chance alot crap got to the injecters? and if so can I take them out check or clean?? And is there anything else I am over looking with all this??

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
16824/P0440/001088 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16500/P0116/000278 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16684/P0300/000768 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16685/P0301/000769 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16686/P0302/000770 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16687/P0303/000771 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16688/P0304/000772 - Ross-Tech Wiki

As you stated; you are getting misfire codes. What I am wondering is; the EVAP based codes, you have a leak and this may cause, the car to not start? I would do a fuel pressure test and confirm; that you are getting the correct spec fuel pressure (pulling off the hose; is not a correct testing of the system).

Here is the fuel pressure testing procedure:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...essure_vacuum_and_temperature_specifications/

Your coolant temp sensor; seems to be bad or the wiring is faulty, check that as well. Here is a video; discussing the common problems.

http://humblemechanic.com/2015/06/02/how-vw-coolant-temperature-sensors-fail-video/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice will be checking this, one thing I wanted to add , is when I took the fuel filter off it came loose inside, I mean it rattled ALOT inside and alot of black stuff came out, if this filter was not filtering could all the dirt get into injectors????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the help....have been reading the sites you sent.
The car ran smooth and perfect when I used starter fluid. I ran it for approx. 3 min. Am checking the fuel pump pressure in a few. Any other suggestions?
Hello,, well here what I just did, I took off both fuel lines up by fuel rail, put gauge on seem to run when it wanted and had 8lbs one time, then nothing, and when i open valve it trickled out into jug???? I checked the plug on fuel pump and found [tell me if I am wroung] brown wire ground No 4, and purple wire had 8 volts No 3, and No 1 blue and red stripe wire had 2 volts, so is this ok and is the pump bad? I did have friend tap on pump but nothing happen???

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I don't know; what the voltage should be at the plug/terminals but you have power and low/no fuel pressure, it would seem that pump is bad. If you decide to replace the pump; I would recommend a oem Bosch unit; we have found around, here the currently shipping Bosch # 69740 is a excellent, fully integrated redesigned unit, with fuel level sender, tank seal and internal fuel filter installed (everything is included; that you need to do the swap). The best price is amazon.com about $120 with free shipping.

Bosch 69740 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump
by Bosch

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bosch 69740

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YES!!!!!!!! I finally did all checks on fuel pump and wa-la--- it ran good after new fuel pump. And plugs and wires and fuel filter and lower control arms, front brake lines, new radiator hose,but anyways its DONE!!! just dont understand why vw dont put in a code just for fuel opums being bad??? just a code for bad relay to fuel pump is all I seen??? THANKS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts