VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The error codes in the 300’s are misfire codes which can be as simple as a disconnected vacuum hose or loose plug wire, but is often old plugs or a bad coil pack. Sometimes of course it can be something else,

Get a full scan done and post all your codes.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
That “three way thingy”, coolant flange looks like it’s leaking as you suspect. It may be the flange itself or one of the hoses or the CTS coolant temperature sensor, that’s the little “thingy” plugged into the top of the flange with the wire coming out of it. A CTS is a known leak point on these cars. That little black clip holds the CTS in place and there is a rubber O ring down inside that actually seals the CTS.

To change it out disconnect the wire, remove the clip pull the CTS straight out and fish the O ring out of the flange with you finger. Of course coolant will be leaking everywhere if you haven’t drained the system. I do see a puddle of green coolant so someone has used aftermarket coolant in you system.

Changing the entire flange itself is a bit more involved but still doable.

When you check your oil, pull the dip stick, wipe the oil off the stick with a paper towel, rag or I’ve even used my fingers in a pinch, then reinsert the dipstick all the way back into the tube and pull it out again. The oil level should be clearly shown on the stick this time.

If the tube is broken the oil level on the stick may not be accurate, as in if the tube allows the dip stick to go down further than it should.

If the engine has shifted forward then the likely culprit is the motor mount underneath the car. It is roughly shaped like a dogbone and is called just that. The dogbone engine mount. Two bolts hold it to the bottom of the engine and two more hold it to the subframe.

Why is there what looks like duct tape on that one hose?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts