VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
These cars can be a real challenge to keep on the road; as you are experiencing!

That being said, if you want to get things fixe and get it running, to be usable, you will need to diagnose the current running issues (miss firing)?

First, I would do a full scan for codes and post any you find; if you can’t figure out your bluetooth based scan tool, many auto parts stores can scan it for you or rent you a scanner for free.

Knowing when to get rid of a car or when to fix it can be a tough decision; historically, many of us don’t have the money to buy a new car and so are stuck with what we have; as the saying goes, “necessity is the mother of invention”, forcing us to figure out how to fix these pesky VW’s.

I don’t know where you’re at in your thinking or what your financial situation is; plus the technical aspects of the 1.8T and getting the car back on the road, making it reliable, so you can live your life and get to work, get around , make $, pay the bills, etc, etc.

These can be enjoyable cars to drive; when they are running right but after 20+’years and many times, lack of maintenance, long term neglect, it may take some effort, money and time, to make it a solid daily driver for you.

Let us know, what you were thinking and what do you want to do moving forward, we will try to help you diagnose problems and work through the list of things that need to be fixed and hopefully get you back on the road.

Fixing things yourself, can be a real challenge and a definite learning curve. Sometimes you just have to do what it takes yourself, become your own vw technician and figure things out or if you have the money have a repair shop getting it running right, so you have a basic foundation of a reliable vehicle. Then, you can do other easier or less expensive, maintenance and repairs as needed, (yourself) in as time goes on.

The 1.8T engine, can be a challenge to figure out, at first and has a learning curve to keep them running well but it is possible! If you are willing and dedicated to keep the maintenance up, use oem parts, keep to a solid diagnostic procedures, you can find problems, fix things through a process of elimination and “diy” when repairs are needed. If the car is in a unknown status; you might do baseline testing and confirm, compression, fuel pressure, the charging system is in spec and other things are good, to confirm the engine is ok.

Note: We have all been where you are currently at but things can be fixed, having a VW go down, be without transpo, can be trying, exhausting, frustrating experience!

Let us know, what you want to do and we can try to help, what the next steps, to diagnose the problems would be. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,312 Posts

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Well, lots of different things, problems going on at once; i would start by removing enough oil, to get the oil levels correct (drain to a clean oil pan; then you can put some back in, if needed).

Next, would be the coolant leak and levels. Normally, VW’s use their own specific g12/13 coolant; that is pink or violet in color. If you mix the typical green and pink coolant types; it can cause a thick coagulated reddish mixture, which shiws up in the coolant bottle and this can cause, overheating and cooling system problems. If this happens, the coolant will need ti be drained and the system flushed, cleaned out with dish soap like Dove, fresh water and flushed until all the junk is out, water clear. We can discuss more cleaning details; if this is the case. Fresh coolant would be needed; using one type of coolant and init mixing incompatible types together. Peak sells a vw spec pink coolant; which is a affordable alternative to other German or VW brand coolant.

Available premixed or concentrated; needing to be mixed with distilled water 50/50.

For the coolant leak, a cooling system pressure tester; can help pinpoint the source of the leak.

If no leaks are detected and a head gasket failure is suspected; you can rent a combustion leak detection kit, from a auto parts store and a compression tester as well. This would help you determine; if there is a head gasket issue or low compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on

·
Registered
17,312 Posts

As to the leak plastic cooling part; if you have a 1.8T, it maybe this part?

COOLANT HOSE FLANGE (NEW BEETLE 1.8T)

VW part # 06A121132AQ

This is typically sold under the aftermarket Dorman brand at stores like Autozone or as a genuine vw part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts