VW Beetle Forum banner

Help! 2006 Beetle Convertible Window Dealer Issues

450 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Thejarhead 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I brought my 2006 VW Beetle to dealer to have drovers side window regulator replaced. Typical window off track, falling into door, grinding, ect.

During repair the window fell out of door and shattered. The dealer is saying they will give me a discount on a new window!

Why are thet asking me to pay for something they broke due to carelessness?
Heading in today to pickup car; getting ready for an argument with the service manager as I am not paying for the window on top of the regulator repair!

#2 · (Edited)
This does, sound a bit odd, when I had my window regulator fail and glass fall down, it didn't break. At that time, there was a free repair from a official vw window regulator recall but that was many years ago.

I have had my local vw dealer; damage my car and they covered the cost of repairing what was damaged. I think, it maybe a case, where they may try to get away with not paying for the whole cost. Sometimes, they try to be manipulative, saying they are "doing you a favor"; by paying a partial cost of replacement part, etc. Broken parts, are common; mechanics can damage things in the process of the repair and normally it should be covered or parts may need to be replaced, in addition to the initial estimate. Getting the "real story"; maybe a bit hard to get, since you weren't there and to a large degree, are relying on the dealership and specific technician to be honest about what happened.

You will need to see the repair bill and discuss the situation and talk to the service manager. These seem to be negotiable and it can be something; where they try to get away with not paying for things but you need to assess the situation yourself. Then, decide what is fair and what you are willing to pay or not pay for. Let us know, how it goes and the results of your negotiations.

Worst case scenario, if you get nowhere; you may need to get the owner, store manager or customer service manager of the dealership involved or contact vw customer care, to escalate the situation.

#3 ·
Since the window glass itself does not need to come out of the door. They either let the window slip down into the door again which can happen but does not usually result in breakage, or they tightened the clips to tightly and broke it that way. What ever happened I would say it's on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.