NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything was working fine until I accidentally drove over an on-ramp curb with my front right wheel. No damage that I could tell other then when I lock the car with the remote it doesn't honk once to confirm. It locks and flashes lights fine... just no sound. Was wondering if I knocked some connection lose?

Thanks,

David

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Perhaps the plug on the alarm horn (yes, different horn).

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Everything was working fine until I accidentally drove over an on-ramp curb with my front right wheel. No damage that I could tell other then when I lock the car with the remote it doesn't honk once to confirm. It locks and flashes lights fine... just no sound. Was wondering if I knocked some connection lose?

Thanks,

David
I have a different issue. When I try and lock my car by pushing the lock button on the remote it does sound off but only the passenger side locks. However, if I hit unlock and wait a few seconds both doors lock. I guess in order to lock my car I need to unlock it and wait for it to lock itself.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have a different issue. When I try and lock my car by pushing the lock button on the remote it does sound off but only the passenger side locks. However, if I hit unlock and wait a few seconds both doors lock. I guess in order to lock my car I need to unlock it and wait for it to lock itself.
So, how the hell do you unlock it for keeps?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
So, how the hell do you unlock it for keeps?
Good question :D No, actually it does unlock just fine but if you hit lock and then unlock and don't open the door within lets say 15 seconds the doors will automatically lock. If I just hit unlock without hitting lock first the doors stay unlocked.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The horn will beep only if the CCM sees all of the alarm triggers closed. In other words, the doors, rear hatch, and hood need to be shut. If you have the hood open and arm the alarm, it will not beep... this is normal.

Now here comes the fun part... the factory radio is also tied into the hood latch switch. Beetles have a bad habit of radios that send an "open hood" signal, thus no alarm beep. You may be able to push the radio into the dash better to seat it and fix the issue. Other times you may need to pull the radio out 3 inches and then reseat it.

If you have a dealer level scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech, then you can view live data of the different switch conditions (doors, hood, trunk).

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The horn will beep only if the CCM sees all of the alarm triggers closed. In other words, the doors, rear hatch, and hood need to be shut. If you have the hood open and arm the alarm, it will not beep... this is normal.

Now here comes the fun part... the factory radio is also tied into the hood latch switch. Beetles have a bad habit of radios that send an "open hood" signal, thus no alarm beep. You may be able to push the radio into the dash better to seat it and fix the issue. Other times you may need to pull the radio out 3 inches and then reseat it.

If you have a dealer level scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech, then you can view live data of the different switch conditions (doors, hood, trunk).
That is very interesting! I no longer have the OEM radio but an Alpine receiver. Perhaps that's the reason my car won't lock on the drivers side? Funny thing is it will lock if I hit unlock after hitting lock 15 seconds later. And it will lock when I drive over 7mph

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That's what it was, guess when I smacked the curb it jolted the stock radio... Interesting enough there was a significant amount of play when I pushed it in. The alarm now arms and beeps like a charm. THANKS!! :banana:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hate when those curbs pop out of nowhere at night, especially in non well lighted areas :eek:
Oh how I know, split in the feeder, a little testosterone, and I took out a curb, one Take 5 and two 17" tires, about two weeks ago. Couple months ago turning at night onto unlit highway and I nailed the divider with the left front, no damage, but it popped the cluster surround into my lap, so I wasn't surprised it jarred your head unit, when I read.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel for the poor fools that lower their car to the point it won't clear speed bumps....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
762 Posts
Perhaps that's the reason my car won't lock on the drivers side?
Not likely. The factory radio is wired up to the "alarm system" in a way that it only says hood latched or unlatched. It has no effect on the central locking of the doors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts