NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need conformation before I order some parts and anyone with shift / selector cable knowledge would be a big help right now. I have a 2.0L 2000 beetle 5speed. THe forward / backward moving cable snapped. I believe this is the shift cable? Which makes the side to side cable the selector cable? I need to get this right as I is my daily driver and I don't have $300 to order both. Also, if anyone knows where I can get a good deal on one of these I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
They make a cable end repair kit; which is usually where they break.. could save you some dough.

Billet Stainless VW Shift Cable Repair Block

gruvenparts.com - A solid stainless fwd/aft cable shift repair block

Billet Side/Side Repair Block for 02A

gruvenparts.com - Billet Side/Side Repair Block for 02A

sometimes the other part; shifter carrier breaks:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/42614-shift-carrier-lever-diy.html

They make a metal aftermarket one for that as well:

http://gruvenparts.com/website/cart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=267&category_id=60

Here is a example of someone who did the repair block repair:

KilometerMagazine.com - Shifter cable end broke...fore and aft

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I came across that one in my research earlier. Unfortunately, where the cable broke that wont work. Also, the cable keeps binding. I really need the whole thing. Parts geek was the cheapest I found. They have both cables @ 150 each. Problem is the eyelets look different in the picture and neither look the the one that came off the car.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That helped a lot. The parts breakdown didnt work on the later version. The part number on the cable I took off cross referenced to the current number on that parts list however. Going to call the dealer now and see if they have it. Wish the descriptions would have stated shift or selector instead of both as selector cables.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once again. Thank you for all the quick responses. Bridget should be bouncing around the potholes in no time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts