VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im wondering if this is how the engine sounds normally the car looks great owner said the cadilac converter needs replacing he wants 600$ for the car needs two tires fixed it sat for a year and battery dies it needs to be jumped to start again im mechanically inclined but never owned a turbo. My wife really wants this car it has 103000 miles

may have exhaust leak?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGFL7dHofuM

·
Gustav
349 Posts
Yes you have an exhaust leak there but the engine sounds proper. For $600 it's worth it you can replace the exhaust from the turbo back with a upgraded system for under a $1000 or just replace the downpipe with a cat for $410 here. Tires are another $300 mounted and balanced. For around $1900.00 total investment its a good deal for my area of Florida

Make sure the Timing belt and water pump have been replaced if not they need to be replaced immediately. This needs to be done every 70K miles and can set you back up to $700-$1600 if you can't do it your self. Also change the oil with Synthetic oil as soon as you get it home then change it every 5000 miles due to the heat from the turbo.

Blau Parts is a great source for DIY maintenance parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also change the oil with Synthetic oil as soon as you get it home then change it every 50000 miles due to the heat from the turbo.
I believe you mean 5000. In 50k not much would be left of the oil or it would def. be in very bad shape. Most likely all gummed up.

Also totally agree. $600 even with a leak and a repair bill. My wife has told me many times it would be cheaper for me to buy a used car with less miles on it then to keep fixing the one I have. shoot my last repair bill even though lots and lots of stuff got replaced was about 4x that 600. LOL

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts