NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This pipe runs just along the left underside of the engine, and it's leaking a light brown, dark yellow fluid. It has no scent, and this leak just started today. I haven't driven the car since Friday. The Haynes manual doesn't identify this pipe anywhere, and I'm at the end of my rope. Help me figure this one out:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
My electronic bentley shows that as a power steering line. It appears to be leaking at that clamp. I would start there. Its under steering in the bentley manual.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It looks to me by the picture that it is your transmission that is leaking, and your comments about the fluid color kind of confirms that.

Look above the power steering line at the gasket on your transmission, it appears to be leaking down onto the power steering line and running back to the clamp.

I am assuming that you have a manual 5 speed gearbox, that fluid color would match the color you stated, basically honey colored depending on age and milage.

VW power steering fluid should be a green / teal color as long as the proper fluid has been used.
VW requires a special power steering fluid - OE or CHF 11s - other than the dealer, NAPA is the only place I have ever found it.

Hope this helps

K

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Agreed. If you look above the pipe, you will see that color on the end of the transmission. There is also a drip sitting there waiting to fall on that pipe. Its hitting that pipe and then pooling at the end of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I appreciate your help so much. Everything that breaks on the car is a learning experience. I've done a lot of work on it, so I'll know how to work on them. I ran out of daylight yesterday, but when I get home today, I'll check the gasket on the transmission. If it is the transmission gasket leaking, anyone have a link to a repair page or thread? Thanks again, I'm very glad to be a member now! -William

1 - 7 of 7 Posts