NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my husband is trying to change my headlight on a 2000 Beetle. He can get the headlight out of the car, but is having trouble locating where the bulb actually comes out. I did a search here and found all kinds of threads on how to remove the headlight canister, but the one with pictures of the whole job- the pictures won't load!

So, can anyone lend a hand here please?

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Here you go...

Push in (yellow square) and lift up on the release lever (green square). Head light will pop out forward slightly; grab the edges and gently pull out the head light and disconnect the wire harness.

Pull the yellow wire off the light blub. Push down and over on the light blub retaining spring to release it. Pull the bad blub out and put in the good one. DO NOT Touch the blub with your fingers or it will burn out prematurely.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey guys, I'm the husband. Removing the assembly isn't the problem. Once the lamp assembly is out, I can't seem to get the bulb removed. I've taken off the lens and the black assembly cover in the rear and still can't find the bulb access point.

·
Registered
950 Posts
After you get the canister out, you then remove the black plastic on the back of the canister by flipping up the tab on the top (you may also have a screw holding it down).

Inside you will find two lights.

The low beam is the light right at the back, the high beam is the one deeper in the can. They're held in place by metal clips, push down and to the side to release.

I would recommend purchasing some dielectric grease to coat the connectors with. On my 98 the connectors corroded and melted causing electrical connection issues. dielectric grease coated on the connectors will keep moisture and dirt away.

When you're changing the bulb, I also recommend wearing a pair of latex gloves, you absolutely do not want to get any oil residue from your fingers on the bulb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thank you so much for your help!

My husband finally got the bulb out and when we were putting the new one in, the wire connecting it was so old it crumbled in his hands. From the shape of it, I'd say it was the original wire from the factory.

So, either he is going to have to rewire it, but it doesn't look like he can get the wire back in to the connector. Therefore, it looks like I'll be getting a headlight assembly from Pull A Part...

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts

My husband finally got the bulb out and when we were putting the new one in, the wire connecting it was so old it crumbled in his hands. From the shape of it, I'd say it was the original wire from the factory.

So, either he is going to have to rewire it, but it doesn't look like he can get the wire back in to the connector. Therefore, it looks like I'll be getting a headlight assembly from Pull A Part...
Splice another wire to it and cover it with heat shrink; this is what I did. You can get the connector, wire and heat shrink from Radio Shack. Cheaper than replacing the whole head light.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

I second what D2Beetle said. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper and also very easy to splice and get that wire and connector fixed. Or you can get a pair of these :
Volkswagen Beetle Projector Headlights and Volkswagen Beetle Angel Eye Halo Headlights :D

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
I second what D2Beetle said. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper and also very easy to splice and get that wire and connector fixed. Or you can get a pair of these :
Volkswagen Beetle Projector Headlights and Volkswagen Beetle Angel Eye Halo Headlights :D
Im still trying to get my Spec-d lights aligned after having them a week. I go outside at dusk and pull them out and crank the adjustments, put them back in, sigh that it still isn't right, and go inside because I'm too irritated to keep pulling the headlights in and out repeatedly.

I can understand some fine adjustment but for them to be sold with the lights shining all up and out like war time search lights is unacceptable. They obviously put them together but do not do any form of rough aligning at the factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts