NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Yellow Submarine
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2001 2.0 gl, started running bad and then the check engine light flashed several times then stayed on. Took it to autozone these are my codes: po301, p1128, p1255, p1296 and the one that scares me b/c they said it doesn't come up in their system p0172pd. they told me what they mean but any help you guys could give me would be greatly apreciated. if it needs spark plugs what kind do VW's prefer? My yellow submarine is hurting. :confused:

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I would definitely start with a coolant temp sensor and check for intake leaks to start. You will also likely need a new thermostat based on the coolant malfunction code.

There is a common intake leak between the firewall and engine, I think it is on the combi valve. He hose is too short and it gets hot and cracks due to being right above the exhaust, start there.

The flashing means the car definitely had an active misfire, which makes me think you really have a misfire issue on cyl 3. That could be a plug, plug wire or even your coil pack. I don't think the intake leak would cause the #3 misfire, but suppose it is possible.

The P0172 code is because your car is trying to compensate for the intake leak, that is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
P0301 is a misfire on cylinder 1. This and the vacuum leak codes could be due to the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. See IndyTom's pictures in this post:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/59256-cold-engine-driving-2.html

I had to replace mine due to cracking in the original. The original line is really 1/2" too short and that stresses it.

The other codes indicate the coolant temperature sensor and the thermostat, as bme stated. The original temperature sensors are a known high failure item. The original ones have a black plastic housing, the updated ones are green.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Likely vacuum leaks due to rotten and broke vacuum hoses/check valves and such. Could also be crankcase air leaks as well.

Depending on age of things like spark plugs and fuel filter, they likely should be replaced. I find it is wise to address the long term maintenance items as well when dealing with these types of problems.

Replacing the temperature sender has been mentioned, however, your problem is likely a bad thermostat, you should be prepared to replace the thermostat.

You need a scan tool that can read real time engine data to confirm the engine temp and it should be 200-205F consistently. Unfortunately many of the Auto Zone type tools they loan are not the higher end tools that can read real time data.

When in doubt, replace the thermostat.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
support

Looks like these guys covered all the bases on what could be causing yellow beetle some issues,good. I would rocommand u clean the throttle valve. Heck just do a complete tune-up on yellow submarine and make sure you have the correct coolant properly mixed with distilled water.

·
The Yellow Submarine
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys. I changed the thermostat and cooalnt temp sensor at work and cleared the light the t-stat was stuck open hopefully all is good now. Only time will tell I suppose thanks again for all the help you guys are great and know your beetle stuff.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
t-stat open

Glad u found the problem. Thermostat stuck open? i had the same problem 3 years back when i mixed the wrong coolant and developed some sludge in the coolant system. Remember to mix it correctly. Haven't had a single coolant issue in 3 years since I mix the correct stuff with distilled water only. Heck I'll just leave it alone and don't mess with mine for another year or if it gives me problems. ," if it ain't broke don't mess with it" LOL :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts