VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 New Beetle - door lock switches check out OK. Driver door lock rocker switch will not unlock the passenger door. Is there an identified and known issue here, VW technical bulletin or other or a specific wire in the door jamb I should be looking at for a breakage?
The passenger side door lock switch works fine and all the electrical accessories in the car work properly.
Before I pull out my electrical meter and take the door apart I was just looking to see if the cause and solution may already be understood in our community of owners .
Andy

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
There is a microcontroller in the door called the door control module (part of the power window motor). It communicates with the "comfort system" in the car via CAN bus. It sounds like there may be a problem with the CAN bus communication.

Does everything else work properly? You are able to lock and unlock both doors using the remote? The passenger side window can be operated from the driver's door switch? The alarm system arms properly via either the remote or the door key?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Red99,

Your questions...

There may be a problem with the CAN bus {door control module} communication.

Reply: OK good path to go down!

Does everything else work properly?

Yes

You are able to lock and unlock both doors using the remote?

Yes

The passenger side window can be operated from the driver's door switch?

Yes

The alarm system arms properly via either the remote or the door key?

Yes

Thank you for your speedy reply and insights. Where do the above questions lead us on this?

Andy

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Where do the above questions lead us on this?
Andy
They lead to concluding that the CAN bus is probably operating OK, since they all depend on it for communication. It could be the switch, as those often have problems. Getting the car scanned with a VAG-scan tool would help, if you have access to one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts