VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got a 2001 beetle 2.0 , brake lights, turn signal, ac, horn etc don't work. Third brake light works as well as the night time lights etc. first instinct was new ignition switch, still does nothing. Now I can see the wire has melted the plastic where it connects into the ignition switch, is possible that wire is fried down the line? What can I do? Is there a main fuse or relay I'm missing that would be linked to this as well, I've checked the fuses in dash first. Any help great fully appreciated

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The red wire to the ignition switch is toasted as well, I replaced the switch with a non own on, oem one is ordered and will be in a few days

Attachments

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Ok, got a 2001 beetle 2.0 , brake lights, turn signal, ac, horn etc don't work. Third brake light works as well as the night time lights etc. first instinct was new ignition switch, still does nothing. Now I can see the wire has melted the plastic where it connects into the ignition switch, is possible that wire is fried down the line? What can I do? Is there a main fuse or relay I'm missing that would be linked to this as well, I've checked the fuses in dash first. Any help great fully appreciated
That is a strange mix of things not working. Some, like the horn, are powered directly from fuse S176 (the one that the melted wire is attached to). The AC is powered through the load reduction relay (which takes an input from the ignition switch). Since you have things not working that don't depend on the ignition switch, I'd start by removing the melted wire and the fuse attached to it and clean up the contacts so you have a bare metal contact there. Check the tightness of all the nuts in the fuse panel.

Oh, and check where the cable from the fuse panel attaches to the battery terminal. This needs to be tight or you can get overvoltage in the electrical system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I do have a update, I replaced the tail light bulbs, cleaned and re adjusted the contacts, tail lights work. So now I jus have no horn, blower, turn sigs or wipers. Which from I have read is the load reduction relay. I switched it this morning, however I was told the wrong slot, ibelive I swapped out the fuel pump relay, I will see when I get home. Btw I picked this car up for 2 grand with the problems and they could not figure it out but, I believe I've got it almost back to running good.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a strange mix of things not working. Some, like the horn, are powered directly from fuse S176 (the one that the melted wire is attached to). The AC is powered through the load reduction relay (which takes an input from the ignition switch). Since you have things not working that don't depend on the ignition switch, I'd start by removing the melted wire and the fuse attached to it and clean up the contacts so you have a bare metal contact there. Check the tightness of all the nuts in the fuse panel.

Oh, and check where the cable from the fuse panel attaches to the battery terminal. This needs to be tight or you can get overvoltage in the electrical system.
I have re done the burnt wire there, my oem ignition switch will be in Tuesday, will swap for safe measure . Also cut back that wire, and got a good connection, replaced with a lug to keep it cool, according to another thread I found. Brake lights are good, going to re check the load reduction relay and see what happens. , is there a specifi ground to look for for this that you know of?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I think your problem is still the ignition switch. All the things you mention are operated by terminal 75 of the ignition switch. It operates the horn switch and headlights directly. It also operates the blower, turn signals, wipers and rear defrost through the load reduction relay. So, since your horn and headlights are not working it is the switch (or connector/wire) and not the load reduction relay.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Headlights do work, just the horn, wipers, signals, and ac. The car has no radio either so I can't say if that is being affected. I should find out for sure Tuesday when I get the oem ignition switch. Thanks for your help and input.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It may be the load reduction relay and a separate issue with the horn then. The horn uses a relay as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have read that the relay is in slot 4, then I fou d showing slot 2. I have nothing in slot in mine, not even connectors, so I'm assuming slot 4 on my my car is the load reduction

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
The load reduction relay is #2 in the lower panel and #4 is the fuel pump. In the upper panel #2 is the rear lid unlock and #4 is open. The upper and lower panels are part of the same assembly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The load reduction relay is #2 in the lower panel and #4 is the fuel pump. In the upper panel #2 is the rear lid unlock and #4 is open. The upper and lower panels are part of the same assembly.
I will have to see when I get off work, I know the top row, 1 and 2 were empty, not even connectors to put relays in, the bottom row if I remember correctly were numbered higher, like 8,9,10 etc

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh snap, I've been messing with the upper relays, according to another diagram I was shown, so now I see I need to swap out the bottom number 2 slot, thanks dude! I'm going to try tonight and see what happens

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a similar problem I think can you help?

Today my daughter called and her new beetle would not start. After significant fussing with things, trying to spot the problem, I said "hell with it", sat in the car, and it fired right up.

I thought it was that she'd left the lights on, or not pushed the brake pedal in - perhaps not engaged in park fully.

SOOOO 30 min later I get another call.....

I no longer blame operator error for this failure to start - because it's still sitting.

Here's the odd thing: When I turn the ignition switch to start the car goes dead. Odometer shuts off, radio, everything. Turning it off and back on does not work. SLAMMING THE DOOR resets it and you can turn the ignition to ON and you get a good strong battery operating headlights and radio, etc. Try starting the car though, and everything shuts off. Bad ignition switch?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts