VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1999 manual vw beetle, with around 165000 miles. Recently I had the issue of my car not wanting to turn off. When I turn the key off, and take it fully out of the starter it is still running. There is no lights on the on the dash when this happens. I have tried to scan for codes and the scanner won't connect with my car. It started having this issue a few weeks ago. Ever since it has been getting worse. My car does have a kill switch down by the clutch, which I've used before to turn it off. It has done this several times now and is becoming a big issue. If anyone has any ideas of why this is happening please help!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The ignition switches; fail on these cars and are a known issue. Have you tried replacing it? They are not expensive; it is worth a shot.

When you say there is a "kill switch"; is this something, that has been added to the car? There is no stock "kill switch" that I have seen; this hacked in toggle switch, may have been an attempt to work around the original problem (the car not turning off)?

Most of the time; when I have seen people add kill switch or other hacked in switches; to bypass, the stock system, they cause problems. If this is the case; I would remove the toggle kill switch; fix the wiring and repair the original problem, that was causing the issue to begin with. Many times, when switches are added in; they are not done correctly and then the primary failure is never addressed. Fix it once and fix it right; take it back to stock and repair the problem, it is much easier to work with that way. This "hack"; is probably a workaround and not addressing the cause of the "won't turn off" problem.

Here is a diy; on how to replace the switch and also, check for melted wires at the plug. Melted wires and plugs; at the switch, are another issue that can cause problems. If you need new terminal wire ends or a new plug; these are all available through your local VW dealer. I had to do this on my car and it is another, known issue.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technic...diy.html#/forumsite/20963/topics/59181?page=1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am planning on replacing the ignition switch to see if that works. It is a switch that was added to the car. I've had the car for over a year now and had the issue once last year but then it stopped. It seems to act up when it is hot outside. It gets 115-117 where I live.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I would definitely look at the modified wiring and how they hacked the switch in. In my opinion; you should remove the switch, fix the wiring issues, find the original "won't turn off" problem and take it back to stock. Fix it right; the way VW originally designed it to be! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts