VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's daily commuter is a 1998 2.0L Beetle. Recently developed a coolant leak in the hose connecting the Water Pipe to the Left Nipple of the Heater Core. As you can tell by the pics, someone has retrofitted it with a threaded flush connector, which is where the leak is. Go figure. I'm sure someone here knows the part number for the hose, or where I could order one. Schematics have been somewhat helpful, but vague enough to make me look for outside help. Just want to be sure that I get the correct hose the first time. Thank you all so much.
Gas Auto part Reptile Terrestrial animal Close-up

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering wheel Bumper Automotive wheel system

· Registered
19,234 Posts
If the hose has been swapped out; it isn't stock and you don't have what was there, it can-be tough to figure it out. Worst case scenario, contact your local vw dealers parts dept with your vin number and they can identify it for you.

· Registered
19,234 Posts
Here is the exploded view of the cooling hoses; from the vw parts site.

· Registered
19,234 Posts
If the remainder of the original hose, is still intact; the vw part #, should be imprinted on the hose itself. Get some degreaser, scrub off the hose and you should be able to see the part #, on it somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
19,234 Posts
I have got some VW cooling hoses from Gates (Made in USA; lifetime warranty) and /CRP/Rein (Made in Turkey); once identify the hose part # or shape, search their online catalogs. See if you can cross reference the VW part #, look for same shape or by correct description.

I got the CRP/Rein hoses at my local O'Reilly's and the Gates hose from RockAuto, Advance, O'Reilly's are listed as dealers in my area.

Gates retailer/dealer lookup:

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much Thanks. I was able to find the correct hose, and decided to change the Coolant Flange and Sensors, since I'm already up to my elbows. My model has the 2 Sensor Ports on top of the Flange. I know that the one closest to the firewall (one on the right) is the Coolant Temp Sensor, but there seems to be conflicting information as to the one on the left. I'm guessing something to do with the AC?

· Registered
19,234 Posts
Your local vw dealer; can get your the right coolant flanges with your vin #. Dorman, sells aftermarket plastic cooling parts for vw's but the genuine vw plastic parts are better or upgrade to the aluminum versions sold online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After seeing many post, I ordered a cast aluminum Coolant Flange. I called the closest dealer to try to get ask about the second sensor on the Flange, but the "gentleman" didn't want to give up the information since I wasn't going to purchase it through them, as the nearest VW Dealer is an Hour and a Half drive.

· Registered
6 Posts
After seeing many post, I ordered a cast aluminum Coolant Flange. I called the closest dealer to try to get ask about the second sensor on the Flange, but the "gentleman" didn't want to give up the information since I wasn't going to purchase it through them, as the nearest VW Dealer is an Hour and a Half drive.
---------------------------

I believe the second "sensor" is an A/C cutoff switch. I recently had to change that coolant flange and I replaced the temp sensor due to a history of those going bad frequently. There was a blue one in there and I replaced it with a green one. I left the other (white) sensor as is. Good luck!

· Registered
6 Posts
Be aware that there are two different green temp sensors for that flange; one has a square connector and the other is kind of oval. Make sure you got the right one. I think the older cars take the square one. Mine is a 1999 AEG 2.0 and has the square connector. I got mine from fcpeuro; lifetime warranty!!

· Registered
6 Posts
When I replaced the flange I removed the air-box and intake, SAI pump and hoses, and some vacuum lines and disconnected a bunch of things to have better access. When I was done I was getting an intermittent ABS light on the cluster. I believe that has to do with a connector up high behind the air-box. I think I might have been a little too rough on it. FYI be gentle with these old plastic parts. They can be quite brittle!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.