NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hows it going. My 2001 beetle sat for two years due to a blown engine. I put the new engine in and now some suspension issues have popped up. One is a terrible vibration when you brake and when you accelerate. I have never replaced the rotors so im sure the rotors need to be replaced. I'm just confused about it vibrating when i accelerate. WHen you coast it doesn't vibrate at all. My second issue is a bad scraping at low speeds. It sound like it is coming from the front right of the vehicle. The vibration and scraping seem to coincide with each other. The other day I put it in drive and heard a POP, and also felt it through the steering wheel. WHat are common things I should look for? Maybe a cracked brake pad? I put the car in park and pushed it back and you could see the engine rock. Do I need to replace all motor and transmission mounts? Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? ON a side note, the car is probably 65% restored at this point. YAY!! Thanks in advance guys, I know its a lot to read.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey guys, hows it going. My 2001 beetle sat for two years due to a blown engine. I put the new engine in and now some suspension issues have popped up. One is a terrible vibration when you brake and when you accelerate. I have never replaced the rotors so im sure the rotors need to be replaced. I'm just confused about it vibrating when i accelerate. WHen you coast it doesn't vibrate at all. My second issue is a bad scraping at low speeds. It sound like it is coming from the front right of the vehicle. The vibration and scraping seem to coincide with each other. The other day I put it in drive and heard a POP, and also felt it through the steering wheel. WHat are common things I should look for? Maybe a cracked brake pad? I put the car in park and pushed it back and you could see the engine rock. Do I need to replace all motor and transmission mounts? Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? ON a side note, the car is probably 65% restored at this point. YAY!! Thanks in advance guys, I know its a lot to read.
You need to put the frt end on jackstands and look close at the dirveshafts/CV shafts and make sure on is not bad. They go from the trans to each frt wheel. Depending on who did the work and what all was done it sounds like a loose CV shaft nut for possible bent/bad shaft. When the engine was replaced did they drop the entire engine cradle out the bottom of the car or pull the engine out the top? You may have a loose engine or trans mount causing some of the vibration. Pay close attention to the frt or passenger side engine mount. If the bolts get loose the engine will move and it may break the ear off the block. If it does you can get a repair kit thru Diesel Geek but you want to catch it before the damage is done if possible. The scaping is probably just the plastic skid plate loose from missing bolts, easy fix.

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, i'll try to get a video and see if my camera will pick up the noise. Its def not the skidplate as ive had that happen before. I have had this car 9 years and this is entirely somthing new. VW replaced my engine so i'm not sure what they did. I know some corners have been cut however, i'll post pics later.

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a video of the motor mounts. Is this normal? Are they completely shot? Transmission ones too? VIDEO0026.3gp - YouTube

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Not certain what sound in the video is the one you are wanting us to hear. If it shakes when you accelerate then something is responding to the torque being applied to the drive train.

Whom ever did your motor replacement should be able to fix the problem. Take it back to them.

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not so much the sound, even tho that is a problem. I was trying to capture the extreme movement to see if it was normal. Does your engine move like that? It wasn't making this noise before the engine was replaced, but it sat for 2 years no driving at all. VW greenville Joe Pecheles replaced my entire top end to the tune of 4800 dollars. Pissed me off as that's new car money, but this is my first car I've had since I was 16. I'm thinking its a combination of extremely warped rotors, all shot motor mounts, and in the most extreme case bad wheel bearing due to warped rotor. There is a literal scraping and vibration that is renders the car almost undriveable

·
Registered
307 Posts
motor should not move that much, i havn't done mounts on an aeg but that amount of movement i would not drive it that way you would probably end up doing more damage.

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
307 Posts
yeah new axles are in your future. However still look into the motor movement, it should not move that much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts