NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About three weeks ago my 2000 beetle wouldn't start. Took it to the shop and they found a bad battery cable. They replaced the cable then they said the oil light started flashing and found that the antifreeze is mixing with the oil which typically means bad gaskets. I've decided to sell the car rather than fix it so I picked the car up yesterday. Got half way down the street and the gauges don't work. Speedometer, gas, and rpm all don't work. The radio (an aftermarket radio that was iffy anyway) doesn't work. The digital miles does work. I read on another forum that it could be in "safe mode". That since there is something wrong with the engine the car will stop using as much power to prevent further damage. Is this a real thing? Just want an idea so I can sell the car. Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Well, you shouldn't drive the car or start the engine at all at this point; until the car is repaired. I don't know if the car is in limp mode but that's probably the least of your worries , The car is disabled it should not be driven. The oil in the engine cannot lubricate the engine properly ; any use of the car just is going to cause more damage to the engine. If you caught it early enough and have everything checked out; a new head gasket and having the head checked by a machine shop, then resurfaced might be all you have to do to fix the car. You don't know what you're dealing with until you have the engine checked out and this requires disassembling the head and pulling the oil pan to check the bearing in the bottom end. How much did they quote you for doing the whole job? You might consider getting a second opinion from another shop; see what they have to say. As it is; you're not going to get much for the car with a blown head gasket. Seeing how most of our cars are getting pretty old and not worth a lot of money; it can be a tough judgment call on whether or not to do a semi or major repair to the car. Other options; fix the car yourself and save a lot of money, there is a thread on the side that shows how to do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts