NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hit a ditch while backing up when it was icy. There was a red trail of fluid on the way back home (about a block). It pooled under my drivers side. Can anyone tell me what all I need to look for to fix her again. I have limited mechanic experience and not alot of money please help

·
Registered
11,910 Posts
Tell us about your VW; year, engine and transmission type (auto, stick, etc). My guess, would be the tranmission fluid; on a automatic, is leaking, unfortunately on these cars, the pan is very low. These can get damaged and get a hole in them; leaking out the fluid. I wouldn't drive the car, until the problem is fixed; it will need to be jacked up, put on jack stands or blocks, so you can see what is wrong. Otherwise, have it towed to a professional shop and have them check it out, get it repaired. Let us know, if you want to attempt to do the repairs yourself and if you have friends or family, that might be able to help you inspect the car, do the repairs for you or with you, doing the needed work together. Thanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Best case scenario, it's a very small crack and it can be repaired with some JB weld, or its the cover and you can score a cheap one from a junkyard. Worst case it's already leaked all the fluid out and driving it destroyed the transmission and you'll need to replace it. Because it was still leaking in your driveway I'd say it still had fluid. You won't know till you crawl under it and look. If you want our opinion some pictures would be nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts