NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy cow, I get off the freeway, and the hot water temp light is flashing! I pull over and shut her off. I wait 10 mins. I start her back up, no light.

I drove less than a mile to get her home, plugged in the code scanner and nothing.

I pull the engine cover and discover oil spilled all over the flange and caked all over the motor underneath it. :mad::mad::mad: I just had her oil changed. :mad::mad::mad:

Then I look around trying to find a radiator, and spy this round thing that looks like it could be the radiator overflow? I'll post a picture below.

Is she low on water? She is not leaking! There is virtually no water inside this bulbous round thing which I suspect is the radiator overflow. Should it have water in it? How much? Half way?

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
The round container is the coolant reservoir. There is a min and max line on it. Check where the coolant is on it. I bet you just need to top it off. But keep an eye on it.

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The round container is the coolant reservoir. There is a min and max line on it. Check where the coolant is on it. I bet you just need to top it off. But keep an eye on it.
Oh thank you! I'm not seeing any min or max line on it :( Should I just fill it half way to be safe?

When the bonehead changed her oil, isn't he supposed to check all fluid levels!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad: she has not been leaking!!!

ArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The container is the cooling system expansion tank.

Hopefully you found it with the cap installed??

The tank has a Max & Min line on the side that is hard to see.

Max level is at about the 1/2 way seam on the side.

Make sure you use VW G12 Coolant (Pink) and distilled water.

There may be a newer version VW coolant, I cannot fully keep up with all the changes. Pentosin I think is the maker to the VW coolant that some import parts stores carry as well.

Fill close to 1/2 full, then keep an eye on things.

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I can't even trust a simple shop to properly change her oil and not spill it all over her, and then fail to check fluid levels, I might as well pull her maintenance myself. This is pissing me off. :mad::mad::mad:

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The container is the cooling system expansion tank.

Hopefully you found it with the cap installed??

The tank has a Max & Min line on the side that is hard to see.

Max level is at about the 1/2 way seam on the side.

Make sure you use VW G12 Coolant (Pink) and distilled water.

There may be a newer version VW coolant, I cannot fully keep up with all the changes. Pentosin I think is the maker to the VW coolant that some import parts stores carry as well.

Fill close to 1/2 full, then keep an eye on things.
thank you so much. the cap was installed; it made a sucking sound when I unscrewed it. There was virtually no water inside.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The flashing light could have been due to low coolant level rather than overheating. It will flash either way. Sounds like you may have a coolant leak somewhere. Did you see coolant spill when you took the cap off?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
flashing

I think the light flashes when it's low on coolant and it stays solid red on when it's an overheating coolant system. Let's hope you don't have to change out the resevoir just because of a faulty switch. it might have just been low. If you look real close at the reservoir you'll see the level marks, here is a pix to help out. Sometimes it helps to shine a flashlight in the opposite side of the tank in order to see the level correctly-fyi

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I think the light flashes when it's low on coolant and it stays solid red on when it's an overheating coolant system. Let's hope you don't have to change out the resevoir just because of a faulty switch. it might have just been low. If you look real close at the reservoir you'll see the level marks, here is a pix to help out. Sometimes it helps to shine a flashlight in the opposite side of the tank in order to see the level correctly-fyi
Very nice pic Esse10 ;) Yes, the flashing red light signals low coolant level rather than an overheating condition and in most cases will not throw a code. Just top it off with some G12 coolant or if you don't have any just use some distilled water. Just DON'T mix coolants. That is a HUGE No NO and can turn your coolant into MUD. So make sure only to use proper VW G12 coolant and Distilled water. Not sure why your reservoir was low. Could be it might be leaking? Make sure the hoses going to it are nice and tight and secure. Also check for cracks on the side or on the bottom. For now just keep an eye on it and make sure it keeps within the two min and Max marks. If it goes just slightly below that Red light will start flashing again.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Hey!

thanks Mr Indytom I do my best to help out these folks.
Hey good to see ya again old friend (Indytom), where U been hiding lately? LOL :p

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
thanks Mr Indytom I do my best to help out these folks.
Hey good to see ya again old friend (Indytom), where U been hiding lately? LOL :p
Been busy with life and other little things ;)

Actually I have my eye on a slightly used Blue 2012 Turbo Beetle and am thinking of selling Old Yella em.. Yellow ;)
Those 2012+ Beetle's are nice. More room comfort and that 2.0 liter turbo is pretty darn quick. Even quicker once I get my hands on it. All depends how fast I can sell my car.
We shall see. :rolleyes:

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It was flashing. No coolant spill visible. I had some G12 pink coolant left over from the timing belt/thermostadt/water pump service. I took a flashlight and saw the marker for G12 and put coolant to that level which was half way. That was this morning. Drove 60+ miles today so will check the level in the morning...hope I don't have nightmares...I had the service done like 15k miles ago...I wonder why the resevoire was low....hum.....OH! Can anyone tell me in the pic if you can see the knock sensor (1)? Point it out to me? I think I'm having fun with this. bye bye nightmares...:D

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Actually I have my eye on a slightly used Blue 2012 Turbo Beetle and am thinking of selling Old Yella em.. Yellow ;)
Those 2012+ Beetle's are nice. More room comfort and that 2.0 liter turbo is pretty darn quick. Even quicker once I get my hands on it. All depends how fast I can sell my car.
We will be expecting pics. :D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ReUYKcHPan4APTsYHADQ&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAw&dur=5085

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ReUYKcHPan4APTsYHADQ&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAQ&dur=3636

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...cing-fuel-injectors-on-a-MKIV-12v-VR6;800;600

VW Knock Senstor #1.jpg

VW Knock Sensor #2.jpg

The above 2 pictures are taken from my 2003 Vert. These are both of the front knock sensor, between cylinder #1 & #2. The front knock sensor is clearly visible from the front of the car if you stoop down and peer over the edge of the core support. This sensor is located behind the alternator and before the dipstick tube. I took a picture pulled out from the sensor so you hopefully you can get a better idea of where it is located. The rear sensor is buried behind the Air Pump and it would likely need to be removed to access the rear knock sensor??

I would take a long extension and remove the center bolt from the knock sensor so you can pull it forward and hopefully unclip the connector. I think it would be VERY hard to disconnect the connector for the knock sensor while it is still bolted to the engine.

If you have a coolant leak, a very common problem on these cars is the metal coolant pipe that is mounted on the inside passenger side frame rail. This pipe is about 2 feet long and can get pin hole leaks in it. Price is around $65 wholesale from the dealer or an online dealer parts department.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
cool

Oh okay cool hope you are successful selling the yellow and getting the new beetle. good luck

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ReUYKcHPan4APTsYHADQ&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAw&dur=5085

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ReUYKcHPan4APTsYHADQ&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAQ&dur=3636

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...cing-fuel-injectors-on-a-MKIV-12v-VR6;800;600

View attachment 99469

View attachment 99470

The above 2 pictures are taken from my 2003 Vert. These are both of the front knock sensor, between cylinder #1 & #2. The front knock sensor is clearly visible from the front of the car if you stoop down and peer over the edge of the core support. This sensor is located behind the alternator and before the dipstick tube. I took a picture pulled out from the sensor so you hopefully you can get a better idea of where it is located. The rear sensor is buried behind the Air Pump and it would likely need to be removed to access the rear knock sensor??

I would take a long extension and remove the center bolt from the knock sensor so you can pull it forward and hopefully unclip the connector. I think it would be VERY hard to disconnect the connector for the knock sensor while it is still bolted to the engine.

If you have a coolant leak, a very common problem on these cars is the metal coolant pipe that is mounted on the inside passenger side frame rail. This pipe is about 2 feet long and can get pin hole leaks in it. Price is around $65 wholesale from the dealer or an online dealer parts department.
Thanks very much. The repair shop which did the timing belt service quoted me 30 minutes to replace the knock sensor (#1) for me which is throwing the code. I think I'll take them up on it. I will just order the part myself. I have to get it replaced after reading that this should not be ignored due to long term damage potential, not to mention it's affecting my fuel efficiency.

I'm so miffed about the other place spilling oil all over her engine. She had just been steam cleaned last November and was so spotless and beautiful under there. Now look. :mad::mad: What is the best product to use to clean this mess? I can see myself using up a lot of Q-tips to reach the deep nooks and crannies...:mad::mad:

That other shop also broke my hood release on my F250 pick up when they changed her oil. I am never going back to that place again. Now my second car is out of commission until I can get her hood popped. I inspected the hood release inside the cabin and the cable is intact, and the hood release lever has pressure when I pull it, so I'm hoping it's just jammed and with a helper I might be able to get it to release with one of us pulling the lever and the other pushing down on the hood at the latch. I'm going to have to search for some forums and find a solution if that doesn't work to pop the hood!

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Amazed...watching the coolant level since filling with G12 to the line and the level has not changed at all. Maybe when they did the timing belt service they just didn't put it to the line in the resevoir. ? Who knows. I am sure glad I had some G12 coolant left.

I ordered the knock sensor. Can't wait to get that crossed of the list of To Do's!! Also can't wait to see the difference it makes in fuel efficiency.

I was also able to get my truck's hood open with the help of my Dad's strong fingers. Yippee!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Amazed...watching the coolant level since filling with G12 to the line and the level has not changed at all. Maybe when they did the timing belt service they just didn't put it to the line in the resevoir. ?
It is hard to get the last of the air out of the cooling system when filling it. Probably there was a little air left in there and then when you drove it the last air bubble moved on to the expansion tank and set the light off. Nothing to worry about if the level holds now.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
It is hard to get the last of the air out of the cooling system when filling it. Probably there was a little air left in there and then when you drove it the last air bubble moved on to the expansion tank and set the light off. Nothing to worry about if the level holds now.
x2. My mechanic is pretty darn good and they didn't get all the air bubbles out. Just needed to top it off after driving it a bit. Pretty normal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts